May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

I’ve got some silkies hatching on Thursday onwards :celebrate

These are from my 4 month cockerel since the better quality one I bought back in December still hasn’t fertilised any eggs. @CluckNDoodle I think you asked about him on another thread a while back but I can’t find it!

Also have blue scale quails in the incubator as well as Seramas, peafowl and soon to be some Pekins from Spain!

Oops I don't know why my response didn't post...

I'm bummed to hear that you leap frog rooster didn't figure things out! 3 chicks just hatched this morning from my friend's rooster that we were SURE was sterile after so many attempts! So maybe some day!!

IMG_20200524_081803763_HDR~2.jpg

So my RSL won’t go broody. What about RIR?

I’m just nervous they’ll create craziness and everyone will go broody.

Weird part is one is my bantam Brahma I hatched her at the end of last year. The stupid Cochin started all of this
I don't think polish go broody do they? My girls are to darn flighty to sit still that long. My silky got my broodies started. She's done now but I have 2 more a bantam cochin and a faverolle sitting now, and when I went out last night it looked like another one of my faverolles was starting to get broody. I don't know where I will put her if she does go broody with all the chicks I have right now I'm just about out of room in the maternity ward. But they are the best incubators. So I will definitely make room for her.

So my RSL won’t go broody. What about RIR?

I’m just nervous they’ll create craziness and everyone will go broody.

Weird part is one is my bantam Brahma I hatched her at the end of last year. The stupid Cochin started all of this
Any breed can have broodies. It is the natural instinct to raise young. Production birds and birds that have been domesticated for a long time have been bred to diminish that instinct, but you'll likely never see a breed that never ever ever goes broody. I had a 7 month old Orpington that was broody as often as she could and I've got another broody girl now from a breed that rarely goes broody. I've never had it spread to the rest of the flock, but I wont rule that out either. If you get a breed that "never goes broody", my guess is that you'll be disappointed.

Lots of people on the forum have experience with breaking broodies, maybe do a search for that.

Any breed can have broodies. It is the natural instinct to raise young. Production birds and birds that have been domesticated for a long time have been bred to diminish that instinct, but you'll likely never see a breed that never ever ever goes broody. I had a 7 month old Orpington that was broody as often as she could and I've got another broody girl now from a breed that rarely goes broody. I've never had it spread to the rest of the flock, but I wont rule that out either. If you get a breed that "never goes broody", my guess is that you'll be disappointed.

Lots of people on the forum have experience with breaking broodies, maybe do a search for that.
I don’t want to break them because that to me is unnatural. I’ve had my RSLs for 2 years and not once has one ever tried to sit on eggs. Unfortunately Cochin are broody machines, but they are so pretty.

I don’t want to break them because that to me is unnatural. I’ve had my RSLs for 2 years and not once has one ever tried to sit on eggs. Unfortunately Cochin are broody machines, but they are so pretty.
Me either I don’t break broodies I’ve had 6 in the last twelve months. My current plan is 2-3 chicks per broody now.

you give chicks after at least an week of sitting. At night. After a broody has been a broody and raised a clutch you can try different things, but, follow the rules the first time. I’ve had a few disasters this year because I assume they’ll do something Because I think I “know them” and they don’t.

yesterday I totally f-ed up. Have a broody that went broody because of chicks around. So I kinda figured she has strong motherly instincts. So I gave her three chicks middle of the day instead of night.

it’s Texas, I cannot STAND going into the coop at night with roaches. Anyway; she spent hours talking to one of the three chicks while two huddled under her. Well at last check last night she killed at least one. I don’t know whether it was that one or when another poked its head out she killed it. I heard chirps under her. I think somethings alive. It was too dark this morning to get a good look I’m about to head out again.
Point of story, do it at night.

I still have a waiting list from my last hatch and one of the ladies that got a male gosling from me in the last hatch wanted an unrelated female. These babies will be colored. Possibilities of Buff, Blue, and Gray!
Omg! I am picking up on Tuesday a buff female, a blue saddleback female, and a gray male!!! We are twins.

Back
Top Bottom