May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Just kidding thanks
The larger ones I'm only keeping a hen or 2. I have a clutch of older ones I'm keeping 2 stags and 3 pullets cull the rest. The younger ones I want to keep all but I'll have to cull some I'll keep 3 stags and a few pullets if theres 3 stags in the mix.
Everybody else went home

That's so cool!! They shipped them wonderfully, the packaging was absolutely perfect. If you are highly concerned about trying to get the most babies possible, I would suggest you call and ask if you could pay to have them shipped express as opposed to priority. It would be super expensive, but the postal ppl told me that when things go badly priority boxes can just sit in the trucks, like mine did, while they still always push express through. I think our cold weather was a big factor in survival rate, so maybe check and see what it looks like for you. But again, it's super expensive, so if you cant-have faith! I think they collect the eggs super fresh so they keep well. I will keep you in my thoughts!
So I reached out to them today and they said no problem to express ship them! I know it's going to cost more but honestly, it's worth it to mean considering it will get them out of the postal system faster and that means a better chance of a good hatch rate. Thanks so much for the suggestion! Are yours going into lock-down today or tomorrow?

My babies started hatching on day 20- yester eve!!!! Got the call to come get them from awesome farmer/breeder dude this morning.
20200527_080319.jpg 20200527_080321.jpg
Check out his mask ;) He hand made that himself! Such a fun, smart, salt of the earth guy. What a joy.
So 27 chicks out of 30 eggs- never thought I would get those odds- some of my eggs were over 10 days old :eek:
20200527_080639.jpg
20200527_081033.jpg
20200527_103331.jpg

Stretching their legs and checking out new home.
20200527_103439.jpg
20200527_103442.jpg
20200527_103938.jpg

Our temps are in the mid 80's now so it is a very lovely environment.

My babies started hatching on day 20- yester eve!!!! Got the call to come get them from awesome farmer/breeder dude this morning.
View attachment 2163204 View attachment 2163209
Check out his mask ;) He hand made that himself! Such a fun, smart, salt of the earth guy. What a joy.
So 27 chicks out of 30 eggs- never thought I would get those odds- some of my eggs were over 10 days old :eek:View attachment 2163196View attachment 2163203View attachment 2163197
Stretching their legs and checking out new home.View attachment 2163200View attachment 2163201View attachment 2163202
Our temps are in the mid 80's now so it is a very lovely environment.
Love the mask

That's so cool!! They shipped them wonderfully, the packaging was absolutely perfect. If you are highly concerned about trying to get the most babies possible, I would suggest you call and ask if you could pay to have them shipped express as opposed to priority. It would be super expensive, but the postal ppl told me that when things go badly priority boxes can just sit in the trucks, like mine did, while they still always push express through. I think our cold weather was a big factor in survival rate, so maybe check and see what it looks like for you. But again, it's super expensive, so if you cant-have faith! I think they collect the eggs super fresh so they keep well. I will keep you in my thoughts!
Advice needed. Babies are hatching! First time chicken owner (got my chickens 9 months ago from a hatchery), first time broody hen. Never expected them to hatch. She chose to hatch them in her favorite nesting box, when I tried to separate her from the flock prior to the hatch, she became very upset, so I put her back where she was comfortable. 2/3 chicks hatched late this afternoon. Now tonight, the other four chickens are sitting on the back roosting bar staring at her! They never sit on that particular bar and I am crossing my fingers they are only curious and not wanting to eat the newly hatched babies. First thing in the morning I am planning on dividing the upper coop box so she can be alone with her babies... newbie mistake but there are so many different opinions on hatching/raising/keeping chicks. Just hope I don’t wake up to 3 eaten babies... my other four chickens are so nice and tame I kinda assumed they would continue to pay her no attention.
Update: 2/3 chicks are thriving! One egg left to hatch- no signs of pip 😢.

Attachments

• 3B3E166C-8802-4EA9-A651-97365BDA4A3A.jpeg
    3B3E166C-8802-4EA9-A651-97365BDA4A3A.jpeg
    623 KB · Views: 5
  • BF903009-76C7-489B-9D4E-A42D07066418.jpeg
    BF903009-76C7-489B-9D4E-A42D07066418.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 3
Are they from your flock?

Try a different breeder with the same incubator if it’s not your own eggs.
Yes these eggs were from my flock. I just had a hatch last week with the same hens eggs and had an almost 95% hatch rate so I know it’s got to be the bator. It has terrible cold spots and I tried to rotate the eggs. That’s why I waited a few extra days just to see if some of them were just late hatchers.

Back
Top Bottom