May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Okay, so I took out the four dryers chicks and moved them to the brooder (the two wet ones are very thankfully by the way). But now I'm paranoid the heat plate is too high, that they are cold. They wont stop moving around under the plate. It's like they get all comfy then someone has to disturb the peace and they all shuffle around again. I filmed them, what do you guys think? Just adjusting to the world or cold?
If they are cold, they will complain usually!:)
I have a similar plate, mine were complaining, turns out the dogs unplugged it somehow.

Okay, so I took out the four dryers chicks and moved them to the brooder (the two wet ones are very thankfully by the way). But now I'm paranoid the heat plate is too high, that they are cold. They wont stop moving around under the plate. It's like they get all comfy then someone has to disturb the peace and they all shuffle around again. I filmed them, what do you guys think? Just adjusting to the world or cold?

I have not used a brooder plate in my brooder yet so not sure on their behavior. I have looked into brooder plates and read that you can put one side higher than the other that way they can go to the shorter end if they are cold and the higher end if they are too hot.

No one is complaining really, it's just like they cant get comfortable. They havent gotten to lay down and sleep at all yet, I'm worried they are going to tire themselves out. It's like watching 4 siblings fight over the best spot on the couch.

The brooder plate should touch their backs when they lie down. I always put it lower in back, higher in front. Depending on the temp in the room where they are, they may or may not use it for very long.

Put the plate at one end of the brooder and the food/drink at the other end (unless it's a huge brooder). This will expose them to cooler temps and encourage faster feather growth. Be sure to raise the plate as they grow, and use your judgment as to when to turn it off. DO NOT let them get too hot. They will die sooner from over-heating than from cold this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom