May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
When it comes to shipped eggs... when you have a reliable source, try to only buy from them.

Foxfire eggs arrived from Idaho, beautifully packaged, eggs secured in carton, all air cells were A+ was able to let them settle for 12ish hours and put them in with the turkeys.

The Liege Fighter and Chiquita eggs arrived from Arizona, eggs broken, box crushed, eggs shaken to the point the air cells are broken up everywhere. Box not marked to let people know what’s in there. So sad! I keep doing this :he Being an impatient person is a horrible thing.

View attachment 2122459
View attachment 2122470
View attachment 2122480
View attachment 2122482

Edited to add: Not heartbroken, don’t really need anymore birds lol but darn it, if you’re going to ship someone eggs let the carriers know?!
I bought some Gold Appenzellar eggs from Foxfire - they are in the incubator now. Wonderfully packaged and air cells were great! All 12 are developing.

I bought some Gold Appenzellar eggs from Foxfire - they are in the incubator now. Wonderfully packaged and air cells were great! All 12 are developing.

Glad they arrived in good shape!

Pretty much all of my chims are from Foxfire. 6 different orders :oops:

Not sure I’m going to order anymore Liege Fighters though. Even though I know 100% that if I order them from Foxfire, I will have them hatch. Just don’t want to keep this damn incubator running for another 3 weeks after this one is done. If that happens, I will then try to fill it up again. Collecting all eggs possible lol

Last edited:
There I sat early this morning sipping my coffee after checking the humidity and temperature on my beautiful mixed egg hatch (EE’s, OE’s, Ameraucana’s & Black Copper Marans). And...click...the power goes off!!! I looked over at my husband and said...MY EGGS!!!! My husband called to report it while I grabbed a thick towel to wrap the incubator in! 1.5 hours later it comes back on (a tree was to blame). The eggs got down to 90 degrees. When I candled on day 7 all we’re developing. Today is day 15...hopefully no damage was done by the power outage!

Attachments

• 7DD50CA3-6805-433B-97BD-6E363D6D5ED4.jpeg
    7DD50CA3-6805-433B-97BD-6E363D6D5ED4.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 2
  • AB278246-029B-4F19-A3AD-B7AF41068C90.jpeg
    AB278246-029B-4F19-A3AD-B7AF41068C90.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 2
There I sat early this morning sipping my coffee after checking the humidity and temperature on my beautiful mixed egg hatch (EE’s, OE’s, Ameraucana’s & Black Copper Marans). And...click...the power goes off!!! I looked over at my husband and said...MY EGGS!!!! My husband called to report it while I grabbed a thick towel to wrap the incubator in! 1.5 hours later it comes back on (a tree was to blame). The eggs got down to 90 degrees. When I candled on day 7 all we’re developing. Today is day 15...hopefully no damage was done by the power outage!
They will probably be okay. Some incubators have built in 1 to 2 hour cool downs now to simulate the hen leaving the nest. Here's a link to Brinsea's article on this feature
https://www.brinsea.com/articles/news/cooling.aspx

I bet they will be unfazed!

Do I have to worry about the humidity getting too high as the eggs hatch? It got up to 79% with the first one. I opened the lid to re arrange the thermometer which had been knocked on to an egg. Now humidity is 74%.

Back
Top Bottom