May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Hmmmm. My guinea egg air cells develop just like chickens do. Here’s a candling pic of one that’s only a few days from hatching, so larger than an early egg...

Hmmm, I’ll try to get a picture. The air cells are still pretty small, but you can definitely see them sitting on the side of the eggs.

Questions for you about he pictured egg turner. I assume it is manual. How do you like it? What would you change if you made another?

TIA

We are trying it out this time it’s new. We actually started to build it with wood dowels, they warped. Then went to a different metal rod but the eggs wouldn’t turn. These are made actually out of the metal from a tomato cage! They are working ok, I think. I may make something to keep it in place a little better. This is my 3rd incubator, and so far all 36 are doing well but it’s only been 4 days.

Awesome. What did you make the big incubator from?

Large styrofoam coolers! Like from Omaha steaks, not the cheap ones from the grocery store

0820694D-C880-4439-B33C-D578F67EE77F.jpeg

Today while I was tweaking the humidity in my incubator, I decided to candle my eggs, 4 days in and they all had little life in them! I’m so excited

When it comes to shipped eggs... when you have a reliable source, try to only buy from them.

Foxfire eggs arrived from Idaho, beautifully packaged, eggs secured in carton, all air cells were A+ was able to let them settle for 12ish hours and put them in with the turkeys.

The Liege Fighter and Chiquita eggs arrived from Arizona, eggs broken, box crushed, eggs shaken to the point the air cells are broken up everywhere. Box not marked to let people know what’s in there. So sad! I keep doing this :he Being an impatient person is a horrible thing.

C28B6FA3-3F45-42B0-8496-F2D2FB091651.jpeg

82F88FB2-49CE-4363-B549-F6E7716BFF98.jpeg

DEAE3B68-293B-42A2-84C1-706C8AFBA28F.jpeg

7841292F-0FEB-4AC3-B413-CA157076837E.jpeg

Edited to add: Not heartbroken, don’t really need anymore birds lol but darn it, if you’re going to ship someone eggs let the carriers know?!

Last edited:
When it comes to shipped eggs... when you have a reliable source, try to only buy from them.

Foxfire eggs arrived from Idaho, beautifully packaged, eggs secured in carton, all air cells were A+ was able to let them settle for 12ish hours and put them in with the turkeys.

The Liege Fighter and Chiquita eggs arrived from Arizona, eggs broken, box crushed, eggs shaken to the point the air cells are broken up everywhere. Box not marked to let people know what’s in there. So sad! I keep doing this :he Being an impatient person is a horrible thing.

View attachment 2122459
View attachment 2122470
View attachment 2122480
View attachment 2122482

Edited to add: Not heartbroken, don’t really need anymore birds lol but darn it, if you’re going to ship someone eggs let the carriers know?!
Did you contact the shipper

Did you contact the shipper

Oh yeah, right away. After what happened with the emu eggs and post office not paying the claim out... I was on it. Sent her photos. We’ll see what kind of seller she is. I just want to kick myself, as Foxfire said she could have Liege Fighters for me in 3 weeks damn it lol

Back
Top Bottom