May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Hey everyone, tell me about humidity. What level do you try to maintain in the first 18 days and how do you regulate it?
I go for 45-55% during the incubation period, but that is both an ideal and an average. Some people swear by incubating dry, however I think everyone finds the way that works best in their climate and also in the microclimate of their incubation room.

I’ve got some barnyard mix ducklings in the incubator right now! Due to hatch May 1st/2nd! We recently moved off the farm but I couldn’t stand not hatching anymore haha. My kids and I set a dozen eggs for a “school project” (excuse for mom to hatch again lol) but we’re down to 7 :( - 3 infertile, 1 early death, 1 died day 13 (yesterday). Will post pictures of their progress tomorrow 😄

I am going to hopefully have lots of eggs hatching in May.
First set is a set of Black East Indies that I set on April 7 they are due to hatch First week of May.

Second set is 12 Welsh Harlequin eggs which I am going to be giving almost all to my friend.

Third are some eggs I ordered this week. Black East Indie again that I will set after I get them next week.

Super thrilled. I will be doing my first official candle on the Welsh Harlequin tomorrow or Monday.

I will be doing egg weight on the Black East Indie on Tuesday.

At least this should give me something to do while I wait to go back to work.

How do you like your Janoel 12????? I have my first set of eggs in mine now... they should hatch out next weekend.
That's great! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
This is my first set of eggs too. But so far, so good. I started candling them today altho it's only day 4. I saw lots of embryos, and some I wasn't sure. Then I got a phone call and closed it up. I'll check again tomorrow or next day. I find that it holds that temp perfectly. Humidity....if I put more than 1/4 tsp of water in, it gets too high, as in high 50's. How is your humidity doing and how are you adding water? I had my DH drill a little hole near the bottom and I put in water w an eyedropper. Just a few drops raises the humidity a few % points.

Sigh. Mom is being an enabler. I just set another 14 eggs. Which means the 2nd incubator is now fired up and going. And I have a hatch due on the 4th and now the 9th as well. the CCL roo is in prison right now after attacking one of the hens to the extreme. He's awaiting his court date with the prosecutor seeking the death penalty. So that means the rest of the CCL breeding flock will soon be infertile until a decision is made or the 2nd roo is brought out from the egg laying flock. Either way, one flock or the other has a pretty good chance of being Roo-less.

Unless

I switch out the one roo between flocks weekly

Well, I candled last night (I believe day 8, as I have my calendar reminder set for tomorrow as day 10). I roped my DH into watching, he had never seen eggs candled and was curious.

One definitive unfertilized, which I'll toss tonight. Zero progress.

The others, well, I think I just confused myself more. I referred back to the candling pictures in the reference files, but I'm not sure if what I saw was normal or if they might be quitters - and I didn't get any pictures, since I was trying to show DH.

Shall I candle again tomorrow night? What might I look for in a day 10 candle?

Hi all, I'd like to join. I have a broody that I gave 3 eggs to today. She's been serious for about a week now but has chosen a nest box outside. She's one of my younger pullets, a Red Ranger/Dorking mix. Hatch date should be May 9th.

I may have forgotten to mention that I did indeed get a few peafowl eggs last week. I have 4 eggs, one has a completely detached air cell but I think I still see development in there. They're very difficult to see into this early. I got a good shot of this one though!

4-18-20 Day 5 Indigo Blue.jpg

Back
Top Bottom