May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

How do I keep the humidity in my incubator from fluctuating? It went from..45 to 40 to 37, then back to 40. I went to bed and woke up and it was at 21. How do I keep the humidity steady? Also will the eggs die if this keeps happening?
Remind us what kind of incubator you have...

Well, I checked my eggs (specifically to see if that detached air cell had settled; it hasn’t.) but I looked at everyone else too cuz I mean, I had it open anyways, right? Lol. I feel a little more comfortable candling this early in the game (thanks @CindyinSD !) and so far I have 3 confirmed developing eggs, and 3 questionable ones. It’s only day 4 so I’ll recheck em day 7 or 10 and see. Hoping these work out for me. :fl so stressful but so fun! Lol.

I did name a few chickens the other day... Mrs. tweedy and Rock after the movie Chicken Run.

I have tons more to name but I'm waiting until they grow out and making sure they're females.

Neighborhood kids at my parents named one chick Mila. I might change it to Mulan 😍 Then I'll do Disney princesses.
We always do "baby names" and then once they feather out and become teens (3 months or maybe 4? ) we give them real names.

There I sat early this morning sipping my coffee after checking the humidity and temperature on my beautiful mixed egg hatch (EE’s, OE’s, Ameraucana’s & Black Copper Marans). And...click...the power goes off!!! I looked over at my husband and said...MY EGGS!!!! My husband called to report it while I grabbed a thick towel to wrap the incubator in! 1.5 hours later it comes back on (a tree was to blame). The eggs got down to 90 degrees. When I candled on day 7 all we’re developing. Today is day 15...hopefully no damage was done by the power outage!
Those are beauties!!!!! Where are the maran eggs from ?

Got to get your money's worth out of the incubator, I say! I intend to keep my ones that just hatched but if I hatched more, those could be sold, or eaten. That's my theory anyway. I might wait a few weeks to do another batch just so I will have these chicks moved outside and not be dealing with multiple brooders.

Overall I'm reasonably pleased with this being my first attempt, 8/11 hatched and are doing well. And. If I hand turn the next batch too, I can easily fit quite a few more in there!
I plan on doing two hatches in a single hatch along. 🙄. As to brooder space, I kinda built a 10*10' brooder room which is clearing out, so I got the room there. :D

How do I keep the humidity in my incubator from fluctuating? It went from..45 to 40 to 37, then back to 40. I went to bed and woke up and it was at 21. How do I keep the humidity steady? Also will the eggs die if this keeps happening?
I have no idea. Mine stayed very constant for the first 18 days, but I didn't have any water at all in there. Hopefully someone wiser than I will chime in.

There I sat early this morning sipping my coffee after checking the humidity and temperature on my beautiful mixed egg hatch (EE’s, OE’s, Ameraucana’s & Black Copper Marans). And...click...the power goes off!!! I looked over at my husband and said...MY EGGS!!!! My husband called to report it while I grabbed a thick towel to wrap the incubator in! 1.5 hours later it comes back on (a tree was to blame). The eggs got down to 90 degrees. When I candled on day 7 all we’re developing. Today is day 15...hopefully no damage was done by the power outage!

I wouldn't worry about that at all. I've had that happen, too. It didn't seem to hurt the hatch--they still did great. You don't want it to go on too long, but a couple hours... I don't think it'll make a difference at all.

Back
Top Bottom