May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

I’ve got some silkies hatching on Thursday onwards :celebrate

These are from my 4 month cockerel since the better quality one I bought back in December still hasn’t fertilised any eggs. @CluckNDoodle I think you asked about him on another thread a while back but I can’t find it!

Also have blue scale quails in the incubator as well as Seramas, peafowl and soon to be some Pekins from Spain!

I have a question, when should i move my broody and her chicks to their little coop and out of their box?
20200523_135807.jpg

help and advice needed please: my broody moved off the nest with the chicks but left one that still had shell attached behind; it was cool but alive so I brought it in, warmed it up with hairdryer (on lowest setting) and now it's wriggling and cheeping. How long before it becomes fluffy, and will it do so just with my body heat or do I need to apply more warm air? And will the broody take it back when I put it back?

You cursed me lol... I think they’re broody my husband said they’ve been in the nesting boxes all day.

What breeds aren’t broody? Leghorns?
I think @CluckNDoodle has had a broody leghorn. :oops:

typically though production hatchery birds are not broody. Anything that comes from production birds then is not either.

just saw cluck confirm. Hehehehe. I imagine soon even whiting true blues will be broody. They were made with production leghorns, but, the further they get away from that and are bred by breeders as opposed to Whitings hatchery and research facility, I assume broodiness will work back into the line.

I was winding down again.. I'm so close to being done hatching. Only a few tiny hatches over the next week....but then I found more Sebastopol eggs. :lau
Omg that’s the goslings I’m getting this week! So lucky! Are you hatching for somebody or just hatching and selling them?

help and advice needed please: my broody moved off the nest with the chicks but left one that still had shell attached behind; it was cool but alive so I brought it in, warmed it up with hairdryer (on lowest setting) and now it's wriggling and cheeping. How long before it becomes fluffy, and will it do so just with my body heat or do I need to apply more warm air? And will the broody take it back when I put it back?
It’ll fluff up with the air regardless of temperature. She will take it, but if you’re concerned, wait until night.

typically though production hatchery birds are not broody. Anything that comes from production birds then is not either.

just saw cluck confirm. Hehehehe. I imagine soon even whiting true blues will be broody. They were made with production leghorns, but, the further they get away from that and are bred by breeders as opposed to Whitings hatchery and research facility, I assume broodiness will work back into the line.

Omg that’s the goslings I’m getting this week! So lucky! Are you hatching for somebody or just hatching and selling them?
So my RSL won’t go broody. What about RIR?

I’m just nervous they’ll create craziness and everyone will go broody.

Weird part is one is my bantam Brahma I hatched her at the end of last year. The stupid Cochin started all of this

And when can I just stick chicks with them? Or should I let them hatch eggs?

I still have a waiting list from my last hatch and one of the ladies that got a male gosling from me in the last hatch wanted an unrelated female. These babies will be colored. Possibilities of Buff, Blue, and Gray!

Back
Top Bottom