May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

I had no success with my hatch (10 eggs), so grafted six chicks today.
E7C2993B-8267-4232-A107-8BFF829C78DC.jpeg

Last edited:
I am currently incubating my first hatch of barnyard mixed from my flock. I'm on day 14 and I have a three dozen eggs coming from Omega Hills shipping out on June 15th. I've been pretty nervous about the shipping aspect for all the reasons you've mentioned. It's encocuraging to hear that despite the obstacles, you still have 11 viable chicks! That's fantastic! Congrats and thanks for sharing!
That's so cool!! They shipped them wonderfully, the packaging was absolutely perfect. If you are highly concerned about trying to get the most babies possible, I would suggest you call and ask if you could pay to have them shipped express as opposed to priority. It would be super expensive, but the postal ppl told me that when things go badly priority boxes can just sit in the trucks, like mine did, while they still always push express through. I think our cold weather was a big factor in survival rate, so maybe check and see what it looks like for you. But again, it's super expensive, so if you cant-have faith! I think they collect the eggs super fresh so they keep well. I will keep you in my thoughts!

That's so cool!! They shipped them wonderfully, the packaging was absolutely perfect. If you are highly concerned about trying to get the most babies possible, I would suggest you call and ask if you could pay to have them shipped express as opposed to priority. It would be super expensive, but the postal ppl told me that when things go badly priority boxes can just sit in the trucks, like mine did, while they still always push express through. I think our cold weather was a big factor in survival rate, so maybe check and see what it looks like for you. But again, it's super expensive, so if you cant-have faith! I think they collect the eggs super fresh so they keep well. I will keep you in my thoughts!
Thank you so much for the info. I'll reach out to them and see if that's an option.

Advice needed. Babies are hatching! First time chicken owner (got my chickens 9 months ago from a hatchery), first time broody hen. Never expected them to hatch. She chose to hatch them in her favorite nesting box, when I tried to separate her from the flock prior to the hatch, she became very upset, so I put her back where she was comfortable. 2/3 chicks hatched late this afternoon. Now tonight, the other four chickens are sitting on the back roosting bar staring at her! They never sit on that particular bar and I am crossing my fingers they are only curious and not wanting to eat the newly hatched babies. First thing in the morning I am planning on dividing the upper coop box so she can be alone with her babies... newbie mistake but there are so many different opinions on hatching/raising/keeping chicks. Just hope I don’t wake up to 3 eaten babies... my other four chickens are so nice and tame I kinda assumed they would continue to pay her no attention.

Attachments

• 92FB6F70-E864-4888-8858-61B6B23DAF14.jpeg
    92FB6F70-E864-4888-8858-61B6B23DAF14.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 4
  • CAE62BC7-C4DA-45A8-B748-973EB7A76AE5.jpeg
    CAE62BC7-C4DA-45A8-B748-973EB7A76AE5.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 566A1F0B-BC60-4473-885B-119372F0A2F8.jpeg
    566A1F0B-BC60-4473-885B-119372F0A2F8.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom