May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

I may be jumping the gun, but on the quest to get "what we want" in breeds of chickens. I contacted Foxfire Farms and will be picking up a dozen Blue Maran and a dozen Cream Legbar in the middle of July. I'm going to need an August Hatch-a-long. :D
Great choices!
I can see why this incubating and hatching chicks is so addictive! How awesome seeing the little critters come out of the shell!
I also love the cream leg bars, they are so pretty and they lay those gorgeous light blue eggs😊

I working on my NPIP cert, maybe I can legally send you one. :) Or six eggs, that is if you can wait until next spring. They take so long go grow up...
Yes I can wait... patiently

I think I have a legbar egg but I’m not sure. It’s blue and it should hatch in June. It’ll be a mix though so maybe I’ll get an olive egger.

Everyone went into lockdown today! I candled each one and saw movement from each one, so things are looking as well as can be hoped I suppose. I even saw one wiggle around when I looked in the viewing window just now, so exciting!

Attachments

• 20200528_141302.jpg
    20200528_141302.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200528_141251.jpg
    20200528_141251.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 3
I love looking at all the chick pics here 😍

I’ve got a hatch this morning from under our broody - day 20! We were hearing chirping yesterday from inside the eggs, so I got up early (UK) to check!

However, I’m expecting a staggered hatch with 2 eggs due tomorrow, and another 6 not due until Wednesday - that’s 4 days difference, although one has come early.
Someone has suggested I remove the early chicks and hand rear for a couple of days so that the broody doesn’t abandon the remaining 6 eggs. Then obviously return the chicks to her when the others hatch.
What does everyone think?

I should probably mention they are all bantam eggs. 2 of our own which are mixed breeds, and 6 polish which came through the post (altho I don’t think 1 of the polish was fertile from what I could tell from candling around day 10).

Hello all ! Hope everyone is hatching well .
So Tesco egg didnt make it at all but that's ok . We are lucky we have 3 little beauts !
I think one has a curled up toe. Do I need to leave it a couple of days or splint it right away? They are a day old . My 4 year old is in love and has been reading to them Haha! View attachment 2165971View attachment 2165972View attachment 2165973View attachment 2165974
How precious! what breed are your chickee babies. I love their head puffs.

Back
Top Bottom