May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

F9D45337-235D-4679-8D90-67D15488D37E.jpeg
89C37AF8-4444-4BDC-A9D3-0E9D252B427B.jpeg

How long is everyone here comfortable leaving chicks in the incubator after hatch? I know I am supposed to wait for everyone to hatch, and make sure everyone is dry and fluffy before opening to move them to the brooder, but I worry about how long that first chick is going to be waiting.

My first chick hatched probably around 3am Sunday morning, it took her about 24 hours to go from pip to hatch. She is 12 hours old now, but there are still 5 eggs with no pip and one just pipped.

How long is everyone here comfortable leaving chicks in the incubator after hatch? I know I am supposed to wait for everyone to hatch, and make sure everyone is dry and fluffy before opening to move them to the brooder, but I worry about how long that first chick is going to be waiting.

My first chick hatched probably around 3am Sunday morning, it took her about 24 hours to go from pip to hatch. She is 12 hours old now, but there are still 5 eggs with no pip and one just pipped.

I don't like to leave them in there for more than 24 hours. I will crack my incubator open just enough to get my hand in there to remove chicks even if there is a pip and haven't had any problems.

I wait until they dry off a bit and I like to grab the dry babies right after another chick hatches because the newly hatched chick makes the humidity spike.
Edit to add, I also don't like waiting more than 24 hours but technically they can survive off of the yolk sac for up to 72 hours. I find they start to show interest in food and water after 24 hours though.

You don’t have to wait for everyone to hatch. I leave mine in maybe an hour then remove them. I remove them quickly so that my humidity and temp do not change.

Okay, so I took out the four dryers chicks and moved them to the brooder (the two wet ones are very thankfully by the way). But now I'm paranoid the heat plate is too high, that they are cold. They wont stop moving around under the plate. It's like they get all comfy then someone has to disturb the peace and they all shuffle around again. I filmed them, what do you guys think? Just adjusting to the world or cold?

Back
Top Bottom