May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Here is what baby looked like when I first opened the eggView attachment 2171277
What type of bird is this? Pigeon?

Just looked back and saw it's a cockatiel. It actually doesn't look shrinkwrapped to me, which is good. I'd say keep the membrane moist, and hopefully it will internally pip on its own.

If not, you can wait until things are more absorbed, find the beak, find a place near the beak with no veins, and VERY carefully put a slit in the membrane. I have done this successfully for chicken chicks before.
Here is what you should do

Just looked back and saw it's a cockatiel. It actually doesn't look shrinkwrapped to me, which is good. I'd say keep the membrane moist, and hopefully it will internally pip on its own.

If not, you can wait until things are more absorbed, find the beak, find a place near the beak with no veins, and VERY carefully put a slit in the membrane. I have done this successfully for chicken chicks before.
@Jehri here is what you should do if it doesn’t pip on its own. It doesn’t look shrink wrapped that is how the membrane should be. Wanted to get another eye to look at it.

Can anyone tell me stories of late hatchers to help me keep my spirits up? I had 6 of 11 hatch on day 21, now its day 22 and no pips at all on the remaining 5. They were all moving on day 18!! Happy for my 6, just bummed about the 5. Should I candle them, or just leave them be?

Can anyone tell me stories of late hatchers to help me keep my spirits up? I had 6 of 11 hatch on day 21, now its day 22 and no pips at all on the remaining 5. They were all moving on day 18!! Happy for my 6, just bummed about the 5. Should I candle them, or just leave them be?
Candle them and see where they are at. It’s better to candle now and see if any are alive then you can assist if needed.

I was doing eggtopsies on day 23 and had a chick that was alive. She’s now living with a friend and had fertile eggs. I just hatched her chicks!
C5091F67-4577-4FA0-A109-9393190EE674.jpeg

@Pyxis would be able to help you with this. Unfortunately none of us here hatch that type of bird and we do not want to give you the wrong advice. You can message Pyxis as well.

Thanks so much guys I think the biggest issue for this guy is mom put a hole in his egg so there was no liquid in it at all. It was so dry it felt empty. I’m amazed it’s alive. I know they shouldn’t be swimming at this stage but it was bone dry and stuck right to the body it has been wriggling around since I’ve been keeping it moist and it has loosened on its body. As long as it keeps fighting I will too

Well, that was utterly heart breaking. Of the 5 that were left I discovered two had pipped on the bottom side and passed away. I had rubber shelf liner down to help for splayed leg, but I think that actually prevented the chicks from being able to roll to the side. I am so sad right now. It's my fault they died...they were perfectly well developed and were able to pip...:(

I dont know what to make of the other three. One has a huge air cell, doesnt look hopefull. I didnt see any movement in the other two at all, but there were some shadows in the air cell area, maybe they internally pipped and then passed. I did just put them back in the incubator though, just in case.

This is hard!

Well, that was utterly heart breaking. Of the 5 that were left I discovered two had pipped on the bottom side and passed away. I had rubber shelf liner down to help for splayed leg, but I think that actually prevented the chicks from being able to roll to the side. I am so sad right now. It's my fault they died...they were perfectly well developed and were able to pip...:(

I dont know what to make of the other three. One has a huge air cell, doesnt look hopefull. I didnt see any movement in the other two at all, but there were some shadows in the air cell area, maybe they internally pipped and then passed. I did just put them back in the incubator though, just in case.

This is hard!
Shelf liner won’t harm a chick that’s pipping. If they pipped on the wrong end, they most likely suffocated because they didn’t pip in the air cell where their air supply is. Not all chicks make it even if they made it to lockdown. We all have losses with each hatch especially with ones who pip wrong or are malpositioned. Also look at the breeding stock, if it’s your eggs see if boosting protein before collecting eggs helps. If it’s not your eggs, I would try a different breeder and see if the problem still happens.

Im sorry for you losses:hugs

You can always try again

This is what they look like. They pipped on the opposite side from where the air cell dipped, but they were able to make some pretty big cracks in their shells, would they still be considered malpositioned?

They were shipped, and got caught in the mail system for 6 days due to covid, so really, I was thinking no one was gonna make it. I just really got my hopes up when I had 11 go into lockdown.

Attachments

• 20200601_094850.jpg
    20200601_094850.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200601_094823.jpg
    20200601_094823.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 10
This is what they look like. They pipped on the opposite side from where the air cell dipped, but they were able to make some pretty big cracks in their shells, would they still be considered malpositioned?

They were shipped, and got caught in the mail system for 6 days due to covid, so really, I was thinking no one was gonna make it. I just really got my hopes up when I had 11 go into lockdown.

Did the air cells dip down around day 18 or did they stay at the top where your pencil line is?

E3DB3AB4-E9AE-4096-A2A3-20E58BC709E4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom