May 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Took her out for a pic :)
Oh my goooooooddddd goslings are the cutest things ever!!! 🥹 i would love to have a little flock of Landes geese, but I’m not in a position to care for waterfowl over the winter…. yet 😏 not to mention I have 0 experience with geese lol I should probably start with runner ducks or pekins.

Two more days til the broody hatch. I’ve only candled ONCE, so it will be a surprise if/when anything hatches. The Wyandotte eggs I gave her aren’t really early hatchers, so they’ll likely start day 20/21

I can see I gave some quail chicks I. The hatch tray but the view is pretty blocked by eggs… so somehow neither of the days I counted were correct lol. Anyway I’m happy that but all the eggs were duds. I won’t know how many until I open it up. But gosh quail chicks are so tiny. Whenever I hatch seramas I think ‘ahh they’re almost as tiny as quail’ but they’re not. Quail chicks are still like 1/2 they’re size
So true! I just hatched some and have been just fascinated by how small they are! 😍

15/21 quail from batch 1 have hatched! They’re super tiny and adorable and the only silver that hatched is also the sweetest! 😍😍

0D5D42B6-5C85-48A3-8B3B-C33D5C84BE1B.jpeg

I can already hear the next round of quail babies cheeping loudly thru the shell and incubator! Soon!! 😍

It’s Day 9 for me so I candled again. 6 look good to go and very active. 1 possible okay. 3 more I’m pretty sure quit but I left them in for a few more days just to be certain.

Not a great rate so far out of 12. These were shipped eggs and nearly all of the seramas did not do well (2 are still in the running. The rest are silkie/satin). Several had detached air cells. But this one serama (picture below) is VERY active despite the awful saddle.

View attachment 3489585
View attachment 3489593
How's the one that started off in your bra? And how is your ankle?

Took her out for a pic :)
That is unbelievably adorable!

Don't give up on the other geese. 🤞 I've had lots of chicks show no sign of movement during candling and then hatch ok but then I don't know anything about geese. I have heard they are extremely difficult to hatch so I'm so excited for you that you managed to hatch at least one!

Alrighty, well I'm here for this one, lol!

I ordered Blue Cream silkie eggs from two separate breeders a few months ago, and somehow they both arrived to me the same day (I scared breeder 2 with a string of laughing emojis when she said my eggs were ready to ship, because I'd just gotten my tracking number from breeder 1 about 10 minutes prior). So I have 15 eggs from breeder 1, and 13 eggs from breeder 2, with an expected hatch date of May 20th-ish.

I'm going to be doing a competition of sorts between the two clutches, which I will be documenting on my TikTok if anyone is interested in following along, i do random chicken and horse videos for the most part - @abrooks1220. I'll have the re-setting video posted later today.

I also got my NR360 3d printed upright 30 egg insert yesterday, so that will be seeing heavy action it's first time out! I'm very pleased by how solid and steady it is.

Back
Top Bottom