May 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Candy Cane takes the lead! Dino is about the same as before. No movement on lightning bolt.

Attachments

• BF71F3B3-8E69-4819-ACEE-3DF4F5A09110.jpeg
    BF71F3B3-8E69-4819-ACEE-3DF4F5A09110.jpeg
    550.1 KB · Views: 1
Morgan Freeman voice: “she did not in fact give up”

Turns out I was right to worry about Martini. S/he was upside down and could not push out, the membrane was completely dry despite having an upper 60-lower 70% humidity. With a little bit of help, Martini is now hatched!*

*sort of. Managed to do the final push and is now unamused at being stuck in shell and on his/her back. Lol silly chicken.
awwwwww poor Martini! Glad she is finally out and she looks so cute!!!!!!

would love some advice on what you would do. I will do my best to type this up that it makes sense.......

So I brood in my coop, I have a section under my poop boards blocked off for a brooder. My 6 weeks old still sleep in there and some of the 9 week olds, 2 sleep on the poop boards now.....

I have my mama and her 9 babies in a nest box in the coop with the rest of the crew. (and now have 3 other broody's!!!!! WTF! LOL)

Well we are going camping starting Fri and not home till Mon. So the babies with mama will be 6-9 days old while we are gone. Well my coop is raised and has a ramp. Last year I found that mama brings them out around day 4-6 but babies haven't been able to figure out how to follow mama back up the ramp for a few days since they jump up to the ramp on the side and babies have no clue where she went so I have to help them and after a few days they learn it and follow her up. Well I will be away around that time. I do have someone checking and collecting eggs but she normally comes once during the day and isn't always around at night so won't be able to check on them in the evening (last year the moms would head in between 5:30-6 so a couple hours before the rest).

So I have a few choices since I don't want mom bringing them out into the run until I am home so I can head out at night......

choice 1: Set up the dog Kennel (takes up a lot of room and the other chicks still hang out in the coop but for a few days they can deal) block the sides so teh new chicks can't get out of it and put mom and babies in there with food and water. Just hope she isn't too upset being locked in since she will have her babies.

Choice 2: kicked the other chicks out of the brooder and lock mom and babies up in there.

Problem with those 2 is my pet sitter would need to open them to give food and water. The food MAY last for the days we are gone but don't think the big water would fit in their and don't think the small one will last, she may be able to fill them through the bars in the run but not in the coop.......

Or option 3: Try to put something in front of the auto door to make it that the babies can't get over it and follow mom out, BUT if mom goes out and babies don't then the other chicks and chickens may pick on them, which mom would be right back in if they don't follow, but still leaves time.

which option would you go with?

I've had a hatch in March, April, and May. I'm turning it over to broody hens until I have hatch worthy Bresse eggs. I'd like to hatch out 24 good Bresse pullets which means setting 60-70 eggs or more.
sounds like me. for my own I have March, April, May, May (under a broody) and June in my incubator...... LOL

But now have 3 more broody's and one is tucked in a corner that is hard to get to. not sure if I should try to get her out (again hard to get to since it is the corner under the poop boards) and block it off but then she would take another nest box, and I have 3 in one group and the other is a double one with no divider between them.... well in the 3 one I have a broody and the mama and her babies so leaves 1 open box...... The double one has a broody in one side and noone will lay in the other side ever...... so if I kick thtat one out from her area then she will go in that ONE open box then I have ZERO open boxes......

But if I leave her there is NO way my pet sitter would be able to collect any eggs laid under her, I couldn't even get them tonight if anyone happened to lay any in there.... Hoping noone did! LOL

Back
Top Bottom