May Hatch-a-long! ~ 6th Annual Cinco de Mayo Hatch-a-long! ~

I am not sure why the list isnt updating to include the fowl you have set!

How do staggered hatches go in your incubator? Got any tips for me? I have never had a staggered hatch before so i am a little leery. Do you keep the humidity down an additional day or so or do you increase it for when the first eggs go into lockdown? I have a second incubator but it seems silly to start it up for a single egg that will be 3 days late...

Well, when I have a staggered hatch like this, when it's time for lock-down on the first ones, I just lay those eggs in there, but put the later ones to hatch in a trimmed down smaller box and sit it in there. I think that helps to keep them from getting too much humidity? Anyways, it worked that way for me before on my own eggs, so who am I to say why? My last batch of shipped eggs were a total dud back in March.

Last edited:
What is a U of A?
University of Arkansas Blue egg layer. There is some debate if the Whiting blue is similar or the same. It is project line of White Leghorn bred to Ameraucana then selected down for BBS feather coloring and homozygous blue egg genes. It's a light bodied productive blue egg layer.

University of Arkansas Blue egg layer. There is some debate if the Whiting blue is similar or the same. It is project line of White Leghorn bred to Ameraucana then selected down for BBS feather coloring and homozygous blue egg genes. It's a light bodied productive blue egg layer.

Ok, thank's for answering my question. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Ok, thank's for answering my question. I guess you learn something new everyday.
Its basically a project hybrid I would say. It had the same goal I had when I started my own breeding project crossing Austra-whites with Ameraucanas of a prolific blue egg layer with BBS feathering so I decided to add it to my flock.

The bonus is the rooster I have is the quietest and most gentle on the ladies I have ever had. That is the main reason he has lived so long hahah.

Hi all! I set 12 eggs--6 white crested blue and 6 golden laced Polish on April 19. I may not be drinking margaritas with my new chicks, but neither will I have a hangover with them...May 10th is my hatch day!
lau.gif

I'm in. Perfect timing. I've got a broody hen that has been sitting for a week and 9 fertilized eggs scheduled to arrive on Thursday. I will set them with the hen on Friday morning and be right on schedule. This is my first hatching ever so wish me luck!
big_smile.png

good luck!!!

Hi all! I set 12 eggs--6 white crested blue and 6 golden laced Polish on April 19. I may not be drinking margaritas with my new chicks, but neither will I have a hangover with them...May 10th is my hatch day!
lau.gif
Good luck with the hatch! You can drink margaritas just before putting them into lockdown! :)
I did a candling this evening on part of the 1st batch of my split hatch. I am seeing signs of life. I didn't want to have the lid off for long, so will candle the rest of the first batch later on tonight.
I read about having cool off periods once a day can strengthen chicks - it is more like a natural broody. Now I don't worry so much about opening up the bator for a bit while candeling

Sadly, my broody waited too long to start. Mine are due 5/9...
My last egg is due about then!

Back
Top Bottom