May Hatch-a-Long!

I am new to the forum and this is my first incubation. I started this tread in the April Hatch a Long by mistake. I will get myself caught up here.

I wanted to surprise my wife for Mother's Day. She really likes the look of the Ayam Cemani. I tracked down those eggs along with lavender Orpingtons. I placed them into a Brinsea Ovation 28 Eco. Hatch dates are May 11 for the A. Cemani and May 12 for the lavendar Orpingtons. I just candeled them all last night.

I had 11 out of 12 of the A.Cemani that I could see development and 10 out of the 16 Orpingtons that I could verify. I am very new to the candeling, so I could have missed one or two.

I also just added a sensorpush to the unit and am trying to figure out why the Brinsea thermometer has been reading 99.6 degrees and the SensorPush I placed on the front bottom wall of the Brinsea is reading 95.5 degrees. Any help would be great.

Ok. Im caught up. I will keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
I'll have my fingers crossed for you! I've never (yet) sent nor received shipped eggs. It still fascinates me that this is possible. But I've heard many success stories about hatches from shipped eggs!
Do you have silkies and sizzles/frizzles now and you're adding with this hatch? 

I'm receiving my first shipped eggs tomorrow to put under my tiny broody.

I am new to the forum and this is my first incubation. I started this tread in the April Hatch a Long by mistake. I will get myself caught up here.

I wanted to surprise my wife for Mother's Day. She really likes the look of the Ayam Cemani. I tracked down those eggs along with lavender Orpingtons. I placed them into a Brinsea Ovation Eco. Hatch dates are May 11 for the A. Cemani and May 12 for the lavendar Orpingtons. I just candeled them all last night.

I had 11 out of 12 of the A.Cemani that I could see development and 10 out of the 16 Orpingtons that I could verify. I am very new to the candeling, so I could have missed one or two.

I also just added a sensorpush to the unit and am trying to figure out why the Brinsea thermometer has been reading 99.6 degrees and the SensorPush I placed on the front bottom wall of the Brinsea is reading 95.5 degrees. Any help would be great.

highfive.gif

Welcome to the hatch-along. I just got on and got caught up myself.
I can't wait to see your 1st hatch!

What breed is she? I didn't realize she was a little one bcs I didn't have a size comparison in the pic. She's very pretty!

She was sold as a serama but we think she's either a nankin mix or OEGH Wheaton mix.

I went down and took a picture with a soda can. You can also see I interrupted her pulling feathers.

Hey! Glad to see you made it over here
1f60a.png
I can't help with your bator issues, as I'm very new to this myself, hopefully someone else will jump in & help. You look to have a very nice incubator though. Can't wait to see your chicks, your hatching some pretty birds! Good luck!

I wanted to surprise my wife for Mother's Day. She really likes the look of the Ayam Cemani. I tracked down those eggs along with lavender Orpingtons. I placed them into a Brinsea Ovation 28 Eco. Hatch dates are May 11 for the A. Cemani and May 12 for the lavendar Orpingtons. I just candeled them all last night.

Thanks. It has been a long time in coming. We maintain a 30 hen flock and I add birds as some pass away. I am typically buying 3 day old chicks once a year, but was excited to try it from eggs. I look forward to the process and what is coming.

She was sold as a serama but we think she's either a nankin mix or OEGH Wheaton mix.

I went down and took a picture with a soda can. You can also see I interrupted her pulling feathers.
Oh my goodness! She is tiny. That's a great pic btw!!!
Is she getting eggs from similar sized birds? Or regular sizes?

Oh my goodness! She is tiny. That's a great pic btw!!! 
Is she getting eggs from similar sized birds? Or regular sizes?

It's a mix of smaller breeds. Pure bred Silver Phoenix standard, D'Uccle (various they had 4 colors), Belgian Bearded D'Anver, Black Cochin and Crele Old English Game Bantams. Total were getting 14 eggs. Not sure how many we'll give her yet.

Don't give up on them! I was in a hatch-along in february where several ppl had their power go out and all of their hatches turned out fine!
How long has it been now? Can you get any reading from your bator? or does that need electric to see also?

It was out just over an hour. The thermometer said 8! I bought a new incubator yesterday morning that has a digital thermometer, it heats up faster. So when the electric came on I just moved the whole egg turner to that new incubator. I put them on lock down this morning. All still moving!!!! I am worried I've had the humidity too high this whole time though. There's no fixing that now. So time will tell. I saw one egg the chick internally pipped!
1f62e.png

So what happens if the humidity has been too high?

Back
Top Bottom