May Hatch-a-Long!

I'm so disappointed. I've been watching and watching them develop!
my broody hen gets up here and there when it's nice out and goes and eats and drinks. I've even seen her in the yard before for a short period and she still hatched all 12 of her eggs! So I'm hoping the incubator will hold heat well enough that it won't affect the hatch!

My electricity is out and we are on day 18
1f629.png

Is your power back yet?

Great your here! Can't wait to see your babies
1f60a.png
I have silkies and frizzle silkies I'm trying to hatch, it's my first time, so fingers crossed. Their shipped eggs on top of that,lol.
I'll have my fingers crossed for you! I've never (yet) sent nor received shipped eggs. It still fascinates me that this is possible. But I've heard many success stories about hatches from shipped eggs!
Do you have silkies and sizzles/frizzles now and you're adding with this hatch?

It took me a minute as well...the cinco de mayo hatch was the only one that came up for me. you're here now! that's all that matters! x
I'd been wondering how in the world there were 120 pages and it's not even May yet! This morning I dedicated my early hours to the catch-up plan when I realized the majority of the pages were previous years' May hatch-alongs! What a relief!

I'm so disappointed. I've been watching and watching them develop!
Don't give up on them! I was in a hatch-along in february where several ppl had their power go out and all of their hatches turned out fine!
How long has it been now? Can you get any reading from your bator? or does that need electric to see also?

I'll have my fingers crossed for you! I've never (yet) sent nor received shipped eggs. It still fascinates me that this is possible. But I've heard many success stories about hatches from shipped eggs!
Do you have silkies and sizzles/frizzles now and you're adding with this hatch? 

The ones she sent me there are a few silky & then more of the silky/frizzle. I also got cream legbar & cream legbar/Maran I believe from her, these were all shipped, the lavender Orpington I got local. I put them all in at same time. I did candle a few last night & could definitely see veins on the silkies, the others I was having trouble, I think due to the egg being colored, blue & brown eggs. Just really glad thou to see that their actually doing something!

The ones she sent me there are a few silky & then more of the silky/frizzle. I also got cream legbar & cream legbar/Maran I believe from her, these were all shipped, the lavender Orpington I got local. I put them all in at same time. I did candle a few last night & could definitely see veins on the silkies, the others I was having trouble, I think due to the egg being colored, blue & brown eggs. Just really glad thou to see that their actually doing something!
That's great!
I am still really bad at candling. Since my eggs are hatched by broodies, I don't upset them to candle.
My original silkie (who is that mom of the silkie pullets who are brooding now) has proven her ability to select out eggs that are non viable. No matter how many times it happens, when she pushes an egg out of the nest she is always right! She's never done it with a developing egg! (So she is a better candler than I am).
I'm waiting and watching to see if Mima's daughters have that same instinct.
So far there were some eggs pushed out of the nest that is being brooded by Zuza (silike) and Story (Orpington). Since they broke from the fall I was unable to tell what was in there if anything. The other 2 nests still have all of the original eggs in. To top that off Mima was laying eggs in to the nest of the single brooder Antonia. There was no point in removing them by the time I discovered that was happening. Removing them would have just killed any developing embryos. So I'm waiting to see what happens. If Antonia stays on them to hatch them out, then that'll be great. If she does't I'm sure hoping someone else decides to go broody and take over those eggs!

To top off this uncertainty, I am needing to move all 3 nests at least into more closed brooding boxes. I'm very nervous about doing it but the locations of the nests are too high for open boxes. I'm still trying to figure out the how and when.

Back
Top Bottom