May Hatch-a-Long!

I just did the Easter hatch a long, my very first hatch. I am preparing to set some next week. I wanted these babies to be in the coop and run before I have more chicks. This is definitely addicting. I was buying eggs before these hatched. The lady from the hatchery put me on her calendar for some fresh hatching eggs. I can't wait. It will be a mix of breeds so for my personal enjoyment.

This is my first time hatching eggs, I have 18 due on May 5th! The cat sat on top of the incubator yesterday so the temp went up. While they were cooling down I candled and so far so good! The closer they get to hatching the more nervous I am I will Mess them up.
Oh I forgot to mention I have a dozen Silkie eggs and 6 Icelandic eggs.

Last edited:

So I have another broody... No I want to find some small eggs to give her.

I'm a little worried about the eggs that were shipped to me, it seems like there's several that are porous. I have not tried yet to candle them, I put them in there Tuesday night. I've not been turning the shipped ones until just now, first time for them. Don't know if I should try to candle them tonight, or just wait until day 7. I have silky, frizzles, cream legbar that was shipped and then lavender Orpington that I got local, but I believe some of them were a little old. So who knows,lol
1f60f.png

I'm a little worried about the eggs that were shipped to me, it seems like there's several that are porous. I have not tried yet to candle them, I put them in there Tuesday night. I've not been turning the shipped ones until just now, first time for them. Don't know if I should try to candle them tonight, or just wait until day 7. I have silky, frizzles, cream legbar that was shipped and then lavender Orpington that I got local, but I believe some of them were a little old. So who knows,lol
1f60f.png

Which ones are porous? I had cream legbars and isbars that were porous. Porous eggs can still hatch. Step one is find out if there are babies making! I have a few Polish that are a little porous looking now and I have slightly increased humidity. I'm more concerned about the saddle cells. Will check day 10 which is tomorrow. Good luck!!!

Seems like it's mostly the silky ones. Of course I haven't candled yet, mainly cuz it's my first time & im afraid I won't really know what I'm seeing, & it's still pretty early. My temp & humidity seem to be staying pretty steady, guess I'll see when I do candle, what the air cells look like, I saw pictures to go by for that. Think I'll wait till day 7 thou. Good luck to you too!!

Seems like it's mostly the silky ones. Of course I haven't candled yet, mainly cuz it's my first time & im afraid I won't really know what I'm seeing, & it's still pretty early. My temp & humidity seem to be staying pretty steady, guess I'll see when I do candle, what the air cells look like, I saw pictures to go by for that. Think I'll wait till day 7 thou. Good luck to you too!!

My porous ones have ended up being quitters. Everything I questioned, I left in until I candled for day 14 and the porous ones were clear, no doubts. I only left two questionable eggs in until day 18 lockdown last check.

I just did the Easter hatch a long, my very first hatch. I am preparing to set some next week. I wanted these babies to be in the coop and run before I have more chicks. This is definitely addicting. I was buying eggs before these hatched. The lady from the hatchery put me on her calendar for some fresh hatching eggs. I can't wait. It will be a mix of breeds so for my personal enjoyment.

Oooo, you'll love the mixed breeds. Its amazing what you can get. I hatch mixed breeds all the time, it certainly is enjoyable
smile.png

I currently have four incubators running and set for May hatches with the following type/breed/variety.
Chickens:
Bielefelder (from pure 2011 Imports)
Isabella Leghorn
English Orpington in the following colours - Buff, Cuckoo, Chocolate, Chocolate Cuckoo, Red and Crele

Turkeys:
Narragansett
Black Spanish
Royal Palm

Back
Top Bottom