May Hatch-a-Long!

If you run to high 60% or more during incubation they won't lose enough moisture and could drown when they pip internally. Around 50% humidity is about where most incububator manuals say to run the humidity at. So they should be fine. I stay about 40% humidity in all of my incubators. I have a Genesis styrofoam incubator and a Turn-x for small batches of eggs. I also keep an eye on air cells and adjust as neccersary. I bump it up to 60% to 65% during lock down. Hope this helps. Best of luck with your hatch.

If you run to high 60% or more during incubation they won't lose enough moisture and could drown when they pip internally. Around 50% humidity is about where most incububator manuals say to run the humidity at. So they should be fine. I stay about 40% humidity in all of my incubators. I have a Genesis styrofoam incubator and a Turn-x for small batches of eggs. I also keep an eye on air cells and adjust as neccersary. I bump it up to 60% to 65% during lock down. Hope this helps. Best of luck with your hatch.

Thanks I'm running at 48% now in my styrofoam little
Giant with no water! I live in Arkansas.

I'm in NE Oklahoma and had to take my whale to town today.
1f609.png
1f602.png

Have candled for my day 10 and am still in complete disbelief that 12 of 12 are looking good. I still worry with shipped eggs, but am pretty optimistic this time since I haven't been pitching eggs and grumbling or whining! 

:weee

Great news. I hope they all will continue to do well for you. Fingers crossed

Last edited:
I just finished my day 18 candling and have 15 eggs fully developed. These were shipped eggs. I ordered 18 eggs from two different breeders, received 23, and 15 made it to lockdown. I'm pleased with that result. I was hoping for ten.

The air cells for the Ameraucanas were much smaller and changed less than those of the Swedish flower hens. At day 18 the SFH looked like the pictures say they should look like at day 18 while the Ameraucanas looked like the pictures for the eggs that were exposed to too high humidity with air cells too small. I'm not sure how to handle this. Is it more important to keep humidity low for the Ameraucanas or keep it higher to protect the SFH from dehydration?

Could this be a difference in shell thickness? Are there special things I need to watch for if the shells are thick? I'm confused and frustrated and hoping for my second incubation to be more normal than the first. Any advice welcomed.

I should add that the incubator has been running at a wet bulb of 83-84 which is about 50% humidity and I was planning on increasing that to wet bulb 89 or around 68% humidity starting tomorrow after lowering temp to around 98.5.

What breeds are you hatching? My Welsummers are my favorites, though they've refused to live in the coop and instead live in our sheep barn! They nest in one of my show lamb stalls.
1f602.png
1f602.png
They're super laid back and clean up after our messy ewes!! I've got some beautiful ones! These I'm hatching are from my girls out there.
1f60a.png
That's funny that they prefer the sheep bran. I wish I could see their thoughts.
I hope to add more Welsummers sometime. I love Hazel's(Wels chick) personality. She walks over and stands on my feet, very cute.

Back
Top Bottom