May Hatch-a-Long!

Welp...I don't know how to count...LOL. Must be all that chicken math.... :rolleyes:

Weighed and candled last night. Took out 3 early quitters. Total that went into lockdown...12. 2 are questionable but I saw movement on the remaining 10!

So the correct numbers. Set 18 White Rock chicken eggs. Removed 3 clears @ day 7. Removed 3 more early quitters @ day 18. So...12 in lockdown. Lets see how my hatch rate looks in a few days.... ~bites fingernails~

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!!:fl

Well, something happened with my little broody. I am not sure if she got up at some point or what but the 6 that we had placed under her quit. I usually don't candle the eggs with my broody until the chicks are late. I figure nature has been hatching eggs longer than me. However, I left one egg under her so she would hopefully continue to sit while the remainder of the shipped eggs that we placed in the incubator hatched 3-4 days later (fingers crossed they were due tomorrow.) We have 2 hatched, 2 pipped, and 3 more that we think are still doing well. So if all goes well, we will have 7 of 18 shipped eggs hatch. I think it could have been much better but we didn't expect to have issues with our broody sitting. Our initial thoughts as to what happened... before we had her blocked off, the leghorns would lay eggs and she would try and collect them... her sitting on large eggs is amusing but we think it aloud for too much temperature inversion before we would catch her sitting on another large egg... just our thoughts.

I'm sorry to hear that your broody wandered off before she was done.:( I have no idea what I'm going to end up with for my first batch of 11 shipped eggs? I can't candle the Olive Eggers and there are 5 of them. There are 3 Partridge Brahma eggs under my sister in laws broody and I have the remaining 3 PB 's in my incubator. I'll candle them when they go into lockdown on Tuesday. Then I get to start worrying about the 12 Isbars and 13Easter Egger shipped eggs due to hatch on June 7th!:yesss:

Last edited:
Good luck. I will keep following along. I have thought about this recently as well but decided not to after reading but I would be nice to follow first hand experience. So I am truly interested. I would guess as long as she has easy access to food and water she would be good. My showgirl lost a lot of weight during her broodiness and has now gone broody again 10 weeks later.
unfortunately yesterday she heard the other hen chicks so she ran to them and thought the are her chicks
and stayed with them.
mission faild
maybe next time I will isolate the hen Earley and far away from any hen that had any chicks

I'm sorry to hear that your broody wandered off before she was done.:( I have no idea what I'm going to end up with for my first batch of 11 shipped eggs? I can't candle the Olive Eggers and there are 5 of them. There are 3 Partridge Brahma eggs under my sister in laws broody and I have the remaining 3 PB 's in my incubator. I'll candle them when they go into lockdown on Tuesday. Then I get to stare worrying about the 12 Isbars and 13Easter Egger shipped eggs due to hatch on June 7th!:yesss:

Looks like we are only going to end up with 3 in the end. But my little broody took them in and she has her babies.

So in the end, my little broody OEGH, had some issues along the way and we only had 3 chicks hatch.
Broody 1.jpg

We got one Crele Old English Game Bantam
Crele.jpg

And 2 Belgian Bearded Burga D'Anvers
Belgian.jpg

Well...I decided that I needed to candle the 6 eggs that will go into lockdown on Tuesday. All of the Partridge Brahma's are bad. One was clear/not fertilized. The other two had blood rings and appeared to stop developing very early. I went ahead and tried to candle the Olive Eggers...I think two of the three are viable...time will tell! I obviously removed the PB's and left the OE's. Hopefully the three PB's under the broody are viable.

Back
Top Bottom