May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

Yes - both chicks had bums done! :)

He is asleep with his bum in the air! Under the bulb.
He is exhausted. I fed him water from a syringe several times today best I can do for the wee one. I am hoping he will rally given a good nights sleep.
THe Temp is only 30 now because he is right under the bulb all of the time I had to turn it down., The other chick is running about like a mad thing and doesn;t seem to notice that his friend is sick he just wants to play.

Oes

Oh! I hope he comes around! Is his crop full? Obviously shouldn't be if no eating. Hopefully no impaction. Pooping is a good sign, but just white means just urates=urine and not much/any fecal material. If there is no sign of impaction, you might consider watered down yoghurt to get some energy into the little guy! Good luck!

Sorry to say guys -
the little fellow died in the night.

We are very upset - he was our only live hatch and now we are left with a single chick again.

This is a very sad time for us as weve now lost 4 adult hens 2 unhatched chicks and our little man
since Feb. - DH is very upset. He tried so hard with this one and there was no apparent reason for it to die?
We took a good look at the chick and it would seem something ruptured inside it as its stomach was swollen and distended. It is a shame. He was eating really well the day before. Maybe putting too much pressure on an underlying issue in the gut? How sad. Dh is convinced that it was not his chick but the one we got from our friend. I am not going to correct him - just now herbert is the dead one and Eggbert is alive! Should have called him Elvis for taking his brothers name! lol - as long as DH is ok that is all that counts to me. I dont; care if they get swapped over. - but I do know which one is which. Shhhhhh!
wink.png

Oes.

hit.gif
It happens all the time you do everything right and yet they die anyhow. Failure to thrive as they say.

Last edited:
Sorry to say guys -

We are very upset - he was our only live hatch and now we are left with a single chick again.

This is a very sad time for us as weve now lost 4 adult hens 2 unhatched chicks and our little man
since Feb. - DH is very upset. He tried so hard with this one and there was no apparent reason for it to die?
We took a good look at the chick and it would seem something ruptured inside it as its stomach was swollen and distended. It is a shame. He was eating really well the day before. Maybe putting too much pressure on an underlying issue in the gut? How sad. Dh is convinced that it was not his chick but the one we got from our friend. I am not going to correct him - just now herbert is the dead one and Eggbert is alive! Should have called him Elvis for taking his brothers name! lol - as long as DH is ok that is all that counts to me. I dont; care if they get swapped over. - but I do know which one is which. Shhhhhh! ;)

Oes.

:hit It happens all the time you do everything right and yet they die anyhow. Failure to thrive as they say.

I am so sorry!

Sorry to say guys -

We took a good look at the chick and it would seem something ruptured inside it as its stomach was swollen and distended. It is a shame. He was eating really well the day before. Maybe putting too much pressure on an underlying issue in the gut? How sad. Dh is convinced that it was not his chick but the one we got from our friend. I am not going to correct him - just now herbert is the dead one and Eggbert is alive! Should have called him Elvis for taking his brothers name! lol - as long as DH is ok that is all that counts to me. I dont; care if they get swapped over. - but I do know which one is which. Shhhhhh! ;)

Oes.

:hit It happens all the time you do everything right and yet they die anyhow. Failure to thrive as they say.

So sorry! Sounds like there was nothing you could have done, but harder to take when you have helped him from the start! I agree about your DH, no need to burst his bubble if he is convinced. Hope you can find another friend for Herb, errr, Egbert so he's not alone. Maybe a girl this time :)

So sorry! Sounds like there was nothing you could have done, but harder to take when you have helped him from the start! I agree about your DH, no need to burst his bubble if he is convinced. Hope you can find another friend for Herb, errr, Egbert so he's not alone. Maybe a girl this time :)

Yes - I think Herb is a ( I mean this Eggbert is a girl!) So I am hoping to get another girl!
It is very hard because this wee one has not stopped crying since the other one died. It is heart wrenching to hear the constant calls.
But I dare say s/he will get over it eventually. We have a few ideas of where to look for another "friend"!
You are right it is hard when we put so much hope in this for two whole months! Two hatches that went bad and only one baby. DH needs a few successes right now. He actually cried when I told him the baby had died and asked me to throw it in the bin for him then he came downstairs and got it back to look at it as he was worried it was "his chick" bless him. I just told him the mother hen up at the petting farm where the "other" chick was found probably chucked him out of the nest and abandoned him because the hen knew something was wrong with it. - Phew! He went in happy with this live baby which is what counts. He has been really ill of late so this has hit him a bit.Good if he just thinks that one is his baby. And best to leave it at that.
Oes

Last edited:
My new incubator came in today!!!!!!!

It's the newest little giant incubator. I'm going to order a fan for it like I did my original lg incubator

Back
Top Bottom