May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

Ya'll are not giving me much hope for shipped eggs...
sad.png

Sorry just letting you know the facts. Shipped eggs cant compare to fresh ones. Only reason I am doing shipped is because the birds I want I cannot get locally.

wee.gif
Two have hatched!!! A buff orpington and one of my barnyard mixes,it's black so It is likely from my australorp you see in my avatar.My last hatch two years ago was such a disaster I was sure I was going to fail........BUT things are looking pretty good
highfive.gif
7 more are pipped,not sure about the rest.Not going to panic,water is topped off and good for another few days.Called my grandson,he'll be four in August.He was pretty happy,wanted to know if I could take it out.lol

Well Misschickenlittle,
It is not that we want to dash al your hope in shipped eggs, it is just that we don't want you to blame yourself right away if they do poorly.
My first batch this year was 24 great silkie eggs, and I hatched 3.
My second batch was 44 Golden seabright eggs and I hatched 11.
This batch is non shipped eggs, and I now have 33 out of a 42 egg incubator.
I did all the same things and it went from 12% with shipped eggs, to 78%
Jim

I know... Just really nervous because the breed I want is also apparently not available locally...

Anyway, chin up and we'll see what happens!!!

Well I go into lockdown tomorrow morning. I candled just awhile ago and all 3 frizzle polish are still alive. Temp has been running steady 100, humidity at 38%. I will add water in the morning and get my sponges ready. Fingers and toes crossed.
fl.gif

Day 13 for us. We just candled an hour ago and saw movement and viens in 6/7 buff orpington eggs! So excited because no eggs hatched our first attempt. Can't wait for hatch day ;)

I am constantly checking the temp and humidity - I am concerned to make sure the temp doesn;t go too high.
At the moment The humidity is reading 38% and the Temp hovers between 37.3 and 37.8
The last months hatch it went up to 39 - which I think is about 102 - so I am a little concerned about the spike comming and worry incase it gets too hot for them.
I guess I am a bit worried about getting mush again. This is my fourth attempt at hatching.
Ist attempt. about 3 years ago got 2 live chicks and I dead half zipped and 6 shrink wrap fully formed.
Then we got blue legbar eggs and none hatched but I think we left them sitting too long before setting.
Then this year we ordered Dorkings and got random blue eggs and two were broke one fractured and the other 4 didn;t start developing.
So here goes for the fourth time - these at least look like Dorking eggs. But due to well the past record I am a bit freaked about getting it right! Also I think I will have to go away for 3 days between day 10 and day 13 ! Darn! It may mean they get turned on day 10 and again on day 13 but not on day 11 and 12 so I am worried about them over that time.

Oes
the humidity is spot on oes the reason you got mush was to much moisture during incubation I'm surprised you hatched any with high humidity but 35 to 40 is perfect till lock down keep it at 100.5 to 99.3 and you will be fine remember you will see a spike on day 3 or 4 dint adjust if it is above 101.0 just open the top a smudge they will settle down and the bator should drop back down to the original temp setting

I know... Just really nervous because the breed I want is also apparently not available locally...

Anyway, chin up and we'll see what happens!!!
hang tough if you can get 20 % on shipped eggs you can call that success hatching is addictive as Jim said he changed nothing and just had a 80% percent hatch i have hatched my own eggs from my flock and had them go 10 for 10 same ever thing with eggs from the mail 2 for 10 just keep truckin,,,,,,
yesss.gif

any movment jn ?
wee.gif

Yes I can see them moving and veins pulsing! They are very much alive!

I still have 14 good Tolbunts developing in another incubator. Air cells in several of them are saddle shaped and many others very wonky. I am sure I will start losing some of them in the next week to come. Shipped eggs are so hard! My Tolbunts are extremely expensive eggs!

Looks like I may have just won an auction for some sizzles! I know I am a glutten for punishment!

Back
Top Bottom