May have to throw in the towel and give up the chickens..*updated!*

Quote:
Yes it was mostly reclaimed materials. The only things on the whole coop that weren't previously used were the hinges on the door and the nails/screws. Everything else was used before for something else. Even the tarp was used on the previous coop. I'm pretty sure the cinderblocks came from something else, but I can't be sure since Royd brought those over.

Royd to the rescue! My hats off to you for lending a helping hand to a chicken neighbor in need. That's what life is really all about and how wonderful of you to embrace the opportunity to help someone in need. The world be be a much better place if there were more people like you in it.
smile.png

The coop and run are awesome and I'm so glad that you didn't have to give up your chickens!
clap.gif

Quote:
Yes it was mostly reclaimed materials. The only things on the whole coop that weren't previously used were the hinges on the door and the nails/screws. Everything else was used before for something else. Even the tarp was used on the previous coop. I'm pretty sure the cinderblocks came from something else, but I can't be sure since Royd brought those over.

The cinderblocks came from a demolished house. A friend and I rescued the oak flooring for him, and he helped me load the blocks...I did have to clean them up, but more than likely they would sit for a few years, before I used them for something.

Quote:
I have been saying, for a long time, that there is coming, an economic storm, like we've never seen and it is going to be up to us, as individuals, to do what we have to, to survive as a community and nation. Which means, reaching out and lifting up those who don't have the strength or know how, to do something.

It was time to put up or shutup.

So, this is my chance to challenge those who are unemployed, right now, who have skills, to use them to help a neighbor or a stranger.

Help someone start a garden, plant a few extra starter plants...Simple things can make a big difference.

Thanks to all, for your kudos.

Last edited:
THANK YOU Royd!!!!! I agree with everyone above--Royd Rocks!

The other good tip that kinda got lost early in the thread it Freecycle.org. It's great. Join and ask if anyone has something laying around that you can use to finish covering the top. It's amazing what people ask for and receive on Freecycle and we help our environment while we're at it.

Quote:
There is also the free listings, on Craigslist..... Buying wood, from HD, for nestboxes, is expensive. An old chest of drawers, is free and can be used, as is.

There are hundreds of pallets being discarded, everyday, which could be used for hog or goat pens...They are a major pain to tear apart, because they are usually put together with spiral glue nails, but you could use them as fence panels.

My mother in law (RIP) was 4ft 8in tall, and there was nothing she couldn't do, even barely weighing 100lbs soaking wet. Don't let your size get the best of you, thats why step ladders and milk crates were invented (something she'd say) There is more than one way to do things the right way, maybe easier for someone taller, doesn't make it impossible if you're shorter. Good luck with everything darlin.

Another great source for low-cost building materials is Habitat for Humanity's thrift stores called ReStore. Check here https://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx for a store near you. It helps you and helps HFH too. It's also a great place to keep in mind if you ever have useable materials and other household goods you no longer need, and cannot think of a way to turn them into a chicken coop, so you can donate them instead.

Building materials are a very popular item on my local FreeCycle sites, there will be many many requests for them when someone posts an offer. I instead find a lot of my materials in people's discard piles. We have bulk pickup twice a week, and people put all sorts of great things out on the curb.

Quote:
There is also the free listings, on Craigslist..... Buying wood, from HD, for nestboxes, is expensive. An old chest of drawers, is free and can be used, as is.

There are hundreds of pallets being discarded, everyday, which could be used for hog or goat pens...They are a major pain to tear apart, because they are usually put together with spiral glue nails, but you could use them as fence panels.

saws all makes short work of those nails can do a pallet in 2 min or less

Back
Top Bottom