May I have opinions on these Tractor Supply coops?

We bought the producer’s pride to use for the pullets while we built a coop. My husband got COVID and that set our timeline back on building. I feel guilty every time I see them squished in that tiny coop. While it says it can take 5 chickens, that is absolutely not the case. I’m hoping to have the coop done in 2 weeks. I was going to use the prefab as a brooder but I’m selling that thing as soon as they are out of it. I can build a more acceptable brooder for cheaper and better than what I‘ll get for it on Craig’s list.

Find yourself a carpenter or handyman with good carpentry skills. Google chicken coop plans and pictures and find one or two that appeal to you. A coop built with 2x4's and 1/2 or 1/4 inch hardware cloth will last you decades where the TS coops may last two years and tear up easily. Put 2x4# wire cloth down under the run to keep predators like dogs and raccoons from digging under and up into the run. A coop built for $400 from scratch will be roomier and sturdier than any kit coop.

Our local TS has these two coops in stock. As we have two weeks to be ready for our 4 little pullets, we are considering buying instead of making a coop. Could I get your opinions please?

We're in SW Missouri. Heat will be a bigger problem than cold for our chickens. I'm a bit worried about predators as we live in the country, though we haven't actually seen any.

Thanks so much!!!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d#

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001
Honestly, I wouldn’t buy those. I looked at it at the store and it’s too small. We bought the superior coop in a size extra large. It’s like the one you posted, but bigger. We have 6 hens and they only sleep and lay in the coop. We let them out during the day. The wood doesn’t last. We’ve already replaced 2 pieces over the last year. Also 2 pieces arrived broken when it was shipped and we ended up fixing them ourselves as the company wasn’t very helpful. We sat the entire coop up on a row of bricks to try to keep it off the ground bc of rain (to try to make the wood last). I also stained it with a water sealer. It just doesn’t seem to be something that’s going to last for years.

Our local TS has these two coops in stock. As we have two weeks to be ready for our 4 little pullets, we are considering buying instead of making a coop. Could I get your opinions please?

We're in SW Missouri. Heat will be a bigger problem than cold for our chickens. I'm a bit worried about predators as we live in the country, though we haven't actually seen any.

Thanks so much!!!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d#

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001
I actually own the 2nd one as my transition coop for new birds coming into the flock. I call it the Mini Coop. It's actually really nice quality and could comfortably hold 4-5 standard chickens or a few more bantam. My main coop is a 6x8' gardening shed that we converted and added an enclosed run. I hope that helps.

Thanks so much!!!

We bought and use the Producers Pride Mini Coop from our local TS. It is very study, easy to clean with many features to keep your flock safe. We attached chicken wire to the bottom so nothing can dig under. Not understanding chicken math at the time we had to build a run around it too. "A few chickens" ended up being 9!

Attachments

• 20220806_125724.jpg
    20220806_125724.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 1
I asked in another thread about the only one I feel confident building. No one answered me yet. 🤷‍♀️
Oops…sorry. Is it possible for you to link that thread? I’d like to see what you could build. Ive always got an opinion…:). What I’ve read, heard about these TS coops isn’t good. They don’t have enough ventilatio, and are to small for the number of birds they say you can keep in them (4x4 is room for 3medium sized birds I think). Also, the materials aren’t the strongest and will need to be reinforced to keep predators out, I believe. I’d love to see your plans of what y can build. You may surprise yourself…I a 72 yr old woman and built a coop that just shocked me!

Oops…sorry. Is it possible for you to link that thread? I’d like to see what you could build. Ive always got an opinion…:). What I’ve read, heard about these TS coops isn’t good. They don’t have enough ventilatio, and are to small for the number of birds they say you can keep in them (4x4 is room for 3medium sized birds I think). Also, the materials aren’t the strongest and will need to be reinforced to keep predators out, I believe. I’d love to see your plans of what y can build. You may surprise yourself…I a 72 yr old woman and built a coop that just shocked me!
It's all good. Things have totally changed shine i posted this. :)

73CEECED-BDF9-47AE-B619-4D6459129C10.jpeg

We could not have afforded this chicken house but it was a gift from a friend who had passed away. This works good to house chickens in but they are free range every day. My husband made a yard on the front and covered it on the days it snows, there stuck in that small area. I have no idea where he bought this but it does not have the ventilation. I wonder how hard it would be to put ventilation in a prefab house.

Back
Top Bottom