May I have opinions on these Tractor Supply coops?

There is one other option we have. We have a good size, really crappy, garden shed; just metal siding over a wooden frame on an amateur-poured, uneven concrete base. We use it to store our lawn mower, etc. My husband has talked about tearing it down, but it's useful and I don't want to spend money on a new one. Anyway, it's plenty big enough we could wall off 5x5 corner, put a door into it on the inside and cut a little outside door for them to go out, and just build a run. If we made the walls partly wire there would be no ventilation issue because the shed is probably 15 x 25 and really not airtight. The biggest drawback is it's got no electric and is a bit farther from water than I'd like, but a really long hose might do it.

If anyone is still reading, thoughts?

There is one other option we have. We have a good size, really crappy, garden shed; just metal siding over a wooden frame on an amateur-poured, uneven concrete base. We use it to store our lawn mower, etc. My husband has talked about tearing it down, but it's useful and I don't want to spend money on a new one. Anyway, it's plenty big enough we could wall off 5x5 corner, put a door into it on the inside and cut a little outside door for them to go out, and just build a run. If we made the walls partly wire there would be no ventilation issue because the shed is probably 15 x 25 and really not airtight. The biggest drawback is it's got no electric and is a bit farther from water than I'd like, but a really long hose might do it.

If anyone is still reading, thoughts?

Does it get hotter inside than it is outside?

If not, then it's got enough ventilation for chickens. If it does get hotter, then it would be very difficult to give it enough ventilation while still keeping the rain out.

You'd have to cut generous vents into the exterior walls and create awnings to keep the rain out.

Does it get hotter inside than it is outside?

If not, then it's got enough ventilation for chickens. If it does get hotter, then it would be very difficult to give it enough ventilation while still keeping the rain out.

You'd have to cut generous vents into the exterior walls and create awnings to keep the rain out.
Truthfully, a bit hotter because there's no breeze. But we could certainly cut windows, cover them with hardware cloth and put awnings. We have lots of left over siding from our garage.

That could work! The chickens won't care if it is uneven or amateur-built.

Metal sides will make heat management more of a concern but that can be handled.
Would insulation in the roof help?

I'm starting to lean toward that just because I could have a larger area for less cost. We don't keep anything of value in it but the mower so really it doesn't even matter if rain comes in so long as it's not on the equipment (or the chickens). We could install a roof vent or two...depending on cost.

I have a lot of reading to do from the links everyone posted. Hopefully we'll get some ideas.

Again, thank you all.

If you have 2 weeks they will be an expensive temporary solution. Key words - expensive and temporary. Retail for 399-599 and in actuality they ain’t worth 50 bucks each. I bought one of TSC’s pre-fab coops as my first one. Lasted just one season and we had to upgrade. I think I would buy a plastic doghouse and fence off a run if I was in a pinch rather than buy one of those TSC coops again.

Look around for something better. I got a 8x10 storage shed from Lowes and converted it in to a coop.

If you do end up with one of those put a coat of paint or sealer on it straight away. Have some screws handy to fix anything that comes loose. Maybe some plywood handy too for repairs. You’ll get a solid season out of it. But after being exposed to the elements for a few months it will begin to deteriorate

You would be better off building the A-frame coop. That you showed in your other post. A dog or raccoon can rip right through the thin tongue and groove siding. Used on those type of coops. I learned the hard way. They also use short 1/4 inch staples to attach the thin gauge hardware cloth to the frame. Also no match for a raccoon or dog. You can install the ridge and gable vents in the A-frame. That should be plenty of ventilation. I use floor vent covers. They are easy to open and close. While being predator resistant. I prefer to use 1/2 inch X 1 inch welded wire on my runs and window openings. I also put a roof on the run, along with roost. Most of my chickens sleep in the runs year round.

You would be better off building the A-frame coop. That you showed in your other post. A dog or raccoon can rip right through the thin tongue and groove siding. Used on those type of coops. I learned the hard way. They also use short 1/4 inch staples to attach the thin gauge hardware cloth to the frame. Also no match for a raccoon or dog. You can install the ridge and gable vents in the A-frame. That should be plenty of ventilation. I use floor vent covers. They are easy to open and close. While being predator resistant. I prefer to use 1/2 inch X 1 inch welded wire on my runs and window openings. I also put a roof on the run, along with roost. Most of my chickens sleep in the runs year round.
Do you have them fully closed front and back like the one I showed in the other thread?

Back
Top Bottom