May I have opinions on these Tractor Supply coops?

Our local TS has these two coops in stock. As we have two weeks to be ready for our 4 little pullets, we are considering buying instead of making a coop. Could I get your opinions please?

We're in SW Missouri. Heat will be a bigger problem than cold for our chickens. I'm a bit worried about predators as we live in the country, though we haven't actually seen any.

Thanks so much!!!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d#

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001
I hope you have not purchased either of these. We purchased the Sentinel and it is suitable for 1 chicken at the most. I still let her out in the yard because it is just not enough space for what they do all day. Our first chicken died within 2 weeks and all I had changed was put her in her own house.

Our local TS has these two coops in stock. As we have two weeks to be ready for our 4 little pullets, we are considering buying instead of making a coop. Could I get your opinions please?

We're in SW Missouri. Heat will be a bigger problem than cold for our chickens. I'm a bit worried about predators as we live in the country, though we haven't actually seen any.

Thanks so much!!!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d#

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-mini-defender-coop-mdc001
I purchased a TSC coop . It was set up inside the barn for the following reasons
- it is not predator proof . It will be an investment to make it so.
- the material is very poor quality. Splits when screws are put in , doors wanted to warp even tho it was never in the weather
- I had.6 Cochins and they were squeezed on the perch’s to the point one was always on coop floor and pooped on all night.
I don’t know where you’re located , but look on craigslist for your area and type in “sheds”
Also do the same on Facebook marketplace.
There’s a lot to consider when building buying a coop. I learned ins and outs the hard way , we bought Amish coop and added and added 😂 just because I didn’t know what I wanted vs needed. I’d glad talk if you wish and can send you photos . I have Amish here as friends .

My TS coop is metal.i don't understand how it can split. I find it quite odd how some people stress about predators but let their chickens free range all day. Isn't that contradicting? We all live in different situations, different predators, different weather and have a different mindset on what our chickens need. I hope you come up with a solution that works for YOU.

Thanks so much!!!

For an Amish built coop and run google The Henhouse. They’re located in Pa. They deliver the coop. They are extremely well built but expensive. It should last for years. I believe the phone number is (800)490-3163. Best of luck.

Sorry it's so long!

I got notification on this post, but also noticed your newest post. Please don't feel the need to leave the site! There are plenty of off chicken topics here. There are many great minds here and don't let the constant "size" constraints steer you away. If you only want 4 build for that and expand later if needed.

I completely understand the waiting game, I did it for 7 years. If the shed conversion isn't going to work, pallets will be your absolute cheapest option. Around here, people give them away or usually $5 or less a piece. Aside from dismantling them, you could definitely make something awesome and what you desire from it.

Maybe you could barter with somebody for materials? Lots of people here will make coops for people on the barter system, we are also a small rural town though.

Constantly check websites for sales, and clearance. Check amazons warehouse, I've gotten hardware wire for an awesome price in warehouse previously. I'm a stickler for discounts, sales and clearance so I searched for every sale, discount and Amazon coupons possible. Still ended up spending more than I planned only because I kept hatching and the original prefab I purchased, let's just say pictures are deceiving. 😂

Hubby wouldn't let me use pallets, so the cheapest route for me was a metal shed. We have an 8x10, but for 4 you could likely use an 4x6 and I believe they are around $200 or so these days.

It just sucks seeing you so disappointed in your chicken adventures so I'm trying to throw out anything I can think of. :hugs

Thanks so much!!!

I, too, live in the country. Rest assured, you'll have predators aplenty once your birds show up. Racoons are bad here, raptors not so much as we live in the woods -- owls, though.

We have the producers pride one. While it’s actually a sturdy set up, there’s no way more then 1 or 2 chickens can happily call this home. We have 4 and they’re free ranged in our backyard all day. They basically only sleep here, but even then, they’ve let me know they’re not happy about it. They fight over roosting space and i can just tell that they’re unhappy with the roost height. Which can’t really be adjusted without them bumping head on the roof as they grow. The roost had to be replaced because the one it comes with is basically for young chickens, our girls couldn’t grip well as they grew, and it’s severely lacking ventilation. I wouldn’t be opposed to buying this and transforming the whole thing into a coop, then buying some sort of chicken/dog run to put it in. That could be a cheaper option for you. I do like that it’s metal and the wire is welded into place. Other than that, just too small. One other thing is that this is not anywhere near being a walk in coop, so you will be busting your back scooping poop. It is a huge pain to scoop under the coop in the run area. And inevitably, if you have laying age chickens, I’m betting one will lay an egg back there that you’ll have to retrieve :DWe’ve purchased a new walk in shed she’s getting turned into a coop for ours and are building a run, so they won’t be in this much longer thank goodness. We added a roosting bar outside too, to give them another sleep option. But here’s some pictures for reference.

Attachments

• 958D4A5F-09F9-495C-B2ED-1D271BFC80B9.jpeg
    958D4A5F-09F9-495C-B2ED-1D271BFC80B9.jpeg
    812.9 KB · Views: 6
  • F410F413-7FDC-49DF-9D20-A708139E60D6.jpeg
    F410F413-7FDC-49DF-9D20-A708139E60D6.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 6
  • CBBAF251-6B9D-4521-810B-5E29C38EE15F.jpeg
    CBBAF251-6B9D-4521-810B-5E29C38EE15F.jpeg
    880.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 81E08125-9673-4D00-8F2D-09512DDF8761.jpeg
    81E08125-9673-4D00-8F2D-09512DDF8761.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 6
We bought one for my ducklings and it was too small for anything but temporary protection till we got their outside coop/pen finished. Ditto what others said. I felt like I wasted my money as they aren’t cheap! Now I only use it for isolation needs. Not sure about where to get the Amish ones, but I’d find another route, even for just 4 birds.

Back
Top Bottom