Maybe a dislocated hip

ladrholman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Musquodoboit
HI, I have a buckeye whom I have had in isolation for a few weeks now. I found her one day limping and it got progressively worse. The foot would push out to the side when she laid down. I thought maybe something nerological but the last week or so she seems to be getting up on the leg a bit. Tonight I had her out for some fresh air and grass after the rest of the flock went to bed. She would get around a bit on the one good leg and on the knuckle of her other leg. The bottom half would be out in front and she would hobble a bit. She can still move her toes and such but can't get up on her leg. So I was holding her and feeling the joints and such. The hip of the bad leg seems to be lower and not feel the same as the other one. Could this be a dislocated hip. Is the fact that I am only thinking that now mean there is nothing I can do since there have been a number of weeks this way? Any ideas if I can help in some way? Splinting? She is still eating and drinking and is bright. Still laying eggs too. More bright now there is another hen in the other isolation cage ( ended up with a laceration on her side from what I assume was a roosters spurs. had to stitch it up... she seems no worse for wear) Any ideas or thoughts from other chicken people would be appreciated.

If this were a duck or a goose, the answer would be niacin and hobble if necessary. With a chicken I would say it shouldn't be too far different. If, as you think, it's a soft tissue injury hobbling or binding may not be a bad idea. She needs to allow the injury to heal and remember the proper way of working.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Some really good info here, even if it is geared more towards chicks, I'm sure you could come up with a modification to help your girl. I would also try working with her leg, gently, just do simple range of motion exercises just like you'd have to do if it were you who had the problem. Increasing her vitamin intake would be a good thing for her as well. A Super B Complex human vitamin, in half, to 1 gallon of water daily. The B Complex has both B and C. These are the vitamins that do the most for soft tissue injuries needing to heal. Even though it has been a bit since it first showed up, I think you have a very good chance of getting her back to normal. Rule of thumb for humans is how long ago the injury happened x 3. So if it's 3 weeks ago, that would be 9 weeks and so on. For a chicken, I'd say maybe half that time. They're a lot tougher than we are, lol.

If you could, post some pictures of her. It's always nice to be able to 'see' so something isn't missed.

Thanks so much. I have been doing the range of motion exercises and sometimes she seems to get up better then others. I will try to get some pics of her tomorrow and post them. I will read the link to see ideas on how to bind and such. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom