Maybe Broody??

YesliHomestead

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
Hello All 👋🏽

I have a 1.5 years old Ameraucana that is acting bizarre. She is laying down all day with her tail tucked down and wings slightly spread out. She’s sleeping in the bushes more then usual and she’s very calm which is VERY UNUSUAL as she is as flighty as they come.
Her stool is milky watery, she is eating but very lightly and she’s not foraging as she normally would!

A few changes have happened

1) our rooster got her whether just into submission or he actually penetrated I’m not sure.

2) She laid a double yolk 2x and stopped laying after

3)She was once broody but we broke her

My thoughts at first were that she was sick but she’s eating and drinking water just won’t forage. Then I thought she may be egg bound, I have her indoors where I gave her a warm epsom salt bath and put a little bit of oil and water solution up her bum which has worked wonders for all my other hens.

So far, no egg, neither does it feel like there’s an egg stuck in her. I’m starting to work see if maybe she is broody but because she’s a clever girl, she’s hiding it because she remembers how it went last time! I did give her an egg and she put it under her wing and then later rejected it.

I’m concerned because, she’s not really eating or taking water, she’s lethargic sleeping way more then usual, she’s not being her normal flighty-feisty self and her poo is runny!
She doesn’t have a runny nose or eyes 👀

How is she pooing so much if she’s barely eating?

I plan to treat with Corid to be on the safe side and I have given ACV in water.

Lastly, I should mention that yesterday upon doing my quarterly coop cleaning, we found mites/lice under the beds. We have treated all the chickens and sprayed the entire coop/run. The other birds are currently in chicken quarantine within the run. 😅

Which further makes me wonder if maybe she is broody but didn’t want to be in the beds because of infestation??

Anyways, any thoughts would help!

Thanks

Below is a picture of her stool

Attachments

• 8AAF6B6F-B596-4F96-9B11-22BC8720F25B.jpeg
    8AAF6B6F-B596-4F96-9B11-22BC8720F25B.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 6AC204D8-B641-4C6F-8E6E-F2D5E2AB60B4.jpeg
    6AC204D8-B641-4C6F-8E6E-F2D5E2AB60B4.jpeg
    669 KB · Views: 5
  • 6BE910BB-9AD3-4C70-9290-7774F733AFBB.jpeg
    6BE910BB-9AD3-4C70-9290-7774F733AFBB.jpeg
    790.3 KB · Views: 6
If she is indeed broody, she will have bald strips of skin along her keel bone. If she's broody, she will puff up and screech when disturbed on the nest.

If she is egg bound, she may have a white slimy discharge from her vent.

It is likely she noticed the mites and is avoiding the coop nests. Have you insepected her body for nits on the feathers if this is lice? Mites would make her skin red and irritated if they are present.

If she is indeed broody, she will have bald strips of skin along her keel bone. If she's broody, she will puff up and screech when disturbed on the nest.

If she is egg bound, she may have a white slimy discharge from her vent.

It is likely she noticed the mites and is avoiding the coop nests. Have you insepected her body for nits on the feathers if this is lice? Mites would make her skin red and irritated if they are present.
She is a bit bare along her keel bone but she doesn’t screech when I approach her. She just sits there and sleeps with her wings a bit lifted and every now and then I catch her panting.

She doesn’t have any slimy discharge oozing from her vent.

Yes, I fact it is lice, I watched them crawling out from under the beds yesterday as I cleaned the entire coop and run from top to bottom and sprayed all the chickens.

I’ve decided that I’m going to treat all of them with Corid just to be on the safe side

Lice usually are on the chickens, while mites may be found under roosts and in the cracks and crevices of the coop. Either can be treated with permethrin dust or spray, at least twice 7-10 days apart. The whole coop should be emptied of bedding, and roosts, nests, and the coop should be treated with permethrin spray.

Has she started molting this season? Does she have any feather loss? During a molt they may act a bit listless, and eat less. Are you using Corid to treat for possible coccidiosis?

Lice usually are on the chickens, while mites may be found under roosts and in the cracks and crevices of the coop. Either can be treated with permethrin dust or spray, at least twice 7-10 days apart. The whole coop should be emptied of bedding, and roosts, nests, and the coop should be treated with permethrin spray.

Has she started molting this season? Does she have any feather loss? During a molt they may act a bit listless, and eat less. Are you using Corid to treat for possible coccidiosis?
Hi Eggcessive!
When I completely empire the coop yesterday I found tons of creepy crawlers under the beds and after careful examination 🧐 I found some on one of my hens. Who happen to be hiding in the coop when I found her.

I sprayed the entire coop after emptying it with permectrin ll including the beds which I completely removed, the roosting bars, every nook and cranny as well as the roof and under the coop was sprayed ( first washed with a bucket of warm water and Lysol with a drop of permectrin ll, thoroughly rinsed and allowed to dry) as well as under and outside of coop and run. All bedding was disposed of. After allowing it to dry for several hours making sure every inch was dry I sprayed it again and allowed it to dry again.

Then proceeded to add Saturday Lime and D.E. EVERYWHERE . Then I grabbed each bird one by one and sprayed them down. Now they are ALL IN QUARANTINE.

Grayson, my bird who I’m concerned about is in a isolation from the rest of the ladies.

Lastly, she has not molted yet and I haven’t really seen any of her feathers falling but I’ll start keeping an eye out.

Thanks

Hi Eggcessive!
When I completely empire the coop yesterday I found tons of creepy crawlers under the beds and after careful examination 🧐 I found some on one of my hens. Who happen to be hiding in the coop when I found her.

I sprayed the entire coop after emptying it with permectrin ll including the beds which I completely removed, the roosting bars, every nook and cranny as well as the roof and under the coop was sprayed ( first washed with a bucket of warm water and Lysol with a drop of permectrin ll, thoroughly rinsed and allowed to dry) as well as under and outside of coop and run. All bedding was disposed of. After allowing it to dry for several hours making sure every inch was dry I sprayed it again and allowed it to dry again.

Then proceeded to add Saturday Lime and D.E. EVERYWHERE . Then I grabbed each bird one by one and sprayed them down. Now they are ALL IN QUARANTINE.

Grayson, my bird who I’m concerned about is in a isolation from the rest of the ladies.

Lastly, she has not molted yet and I haven’t really seen any of her feathers falling but I’ll start keeping an eye out.

Thanks
Hello All 👋🏽

I have a 1.5 years old Ameraucana that is acting bizarre. She is laying down all day with her tail tucked down and wings slightly spread out. She’s sleeping in the bushes more then usual and she’s very calm which is VERY UNUSUAL as she is as flighty as they come.
Her stool is milky watery, she is eating but very lightly and she’s not foraging as she normally would!

A few changes have happened

1) our rooster got her whether just into submission or he actually penetrated I’m not sure.

2) She laid a double yolk 2x and stopped laying after

3)She was once broody but we broke her

My thoughts at first were that she was sick but she’s eating and drinking water just won’t forage. Then I thought she may be egg bound, I have her indoors where I gave her a warm epsom salt bath and put a little bit of oil and water solution up her bum which has worked wonders for all my other hens.

So far, no egg, neither does it feel like there’s an egg stuck in her. I’m starting to work see if maybe she is broody but because she’s a clever girl, she’s hiding it because she remembers how it went last time! I did give her an egg and she put it under her wing and then later rejected it.

I’m concerned because, she’s not really eating or taking water, she’s lethargic sleeping way more then usual, she’s not being her normal flighty-feisty self and her poo is runny!
She doesn’t have a runny nose or eyes 👀

How is she pooing so much if she’s barely eating?

I plan to treat with Corid to be on the safe side and I have given ACV in water.

Lastly, I should mention that yesterday upon doing my quarterly coop cleaning, we found mites/lice under the beds. We have treated all the chickens and sprayed the entire coop/run. The other birds are currently in chicken quarantine within the run. 😅

Which further makes me wonder if maybe she is broody but didn’t want to be in the beds because of infestation??

Anyways, any thoughts would help!

Thanks

Below is a picture of her stool
UPDATE!!!!!!!

This morning Grayson seems to be in better spirits although she still is sleepy. I put some sugar in her water along with electrolytes which she seems to love! She’s even eating more today then the last few days.

Her feces seems to slowly be getting g better. It’s still loose but not straight runny. I’m about to quarantine to more birds who seem to be showing the same signs just not as drastic

Attachments

• 9565EB86-C01E-481F-9452-336893E3545A.jpeg
    9565EB86-C01E-481F-9452-336893E3545A.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 5
The original picture of droppings is similar to some that I have seen in my older hens who had reproductive issues. Make sure that he crop is emptying overnight. Some people never use antibiotics on chicken, but some do use amoxicillin to treat salpingitis or infection. It may help in early stages or help to lengthen life. It is good that she is a little better.

The original picture of droppings is similar to some that I have seen in my older hens who had reproductive issues. Make sure that he crop is emptying overnight. Some people never use antibiotics on chicken, but some do use amoxicillin to treat salpingitis or infection. It may help in early stages or help to lengthen life. It is good that she is a little better.
Hi Eggcessive!
Upon cleaning her cage, I realized that the green in the poop had a very vibrant color. Need to look further into that! Also, thanks for the type let’s see where I can find amoxicillin…

Back
Top Bottom