Maybe I Should have posted in this forumšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Kimmyk80

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
I have a buff Orpington roo & partridge Cochin hen egg that I want to hatch. Just curious if anyone could give me an idea of what the chicks might look like. I guess Iā€™m wondering if they will have feather legs and what color they might be. So far all the crosses with my BO roo have turned out various shades of buff so I was wondering if this cross would too.

I have a buff Orpington roo & partridge Cochin hen egg that I want to hatch. Just curious if anyone could give me an idea of what the chicks might look like. I guess Iā€™m wondering if they will have feather legs and what color they might be. So far all the crosses with my BO roo have turned out various shades of buff so I was wondering if this cross would too.
Yes, this cross will produce what is called a Black Tailed Buff phenotype due to Self Buff dominant traits and Partridge recessive nature of its genes

Buff Orp genetics:
Wheaten at the e locus(eWh)
Columbian Restricted(Co)
gold dilute(Di also a restrictor)
Mahogany(gold enhancer and when paird with DI and Co also boost the restriction effect)

Some lines of Buff will hide Dominant White or Splash to hide some of the flecks or peppering on the tails of the self buff phenotype)

Partridge is very wild in nature, it has only two non wildtype mutations which are eb(brown at the e locus) and Pg(pattern gene) some partridge lines are also red enhanced.

So the cross will be eWh/eb at the e locus, Co/co+, Di/di+, Mh/mh+ giving it a Black Tail buff phenotype due to multiple restrictors dosage effect

Last edited:
Yes, this cross will produce what is called a Black Tailed Buff phenotype due to Self Buff dominant traits and Partridge recessive nature of its genes

Buff Orp genetics:
Wheaten at the e locus(eWh)
Columbian Restricted(Co)
gold dilute(Di also a restrictor)
Mahogany(gold enhancer and when paird with DI and Co also boost the restriction effect)

Some lines of Buff will hide Dominant White or Splash to hide some of the flecks or peppering on the tails of the self buff phenotype)

Partridge is very wild in nature, it has only two non wildtype mutations which are eb(brown at the e locus) and Pg(pattern gene) some partridge lines are also red enhanced.

So the cross will be eWh/eb at the e locus, Co/co+, Di/di+, Mh/mh+ giving it a Black Tail buff phenotype due to multiple restrictors dosage effect
Wow! That is impressive with the phenotypes. My brain isnā€™t ready to process all of that yetšŸ˜‚ So they will be buff colored with black tail splashes, correct? What about legs? Will they be clean or feathered?

Back
Top Bottom