Maybe illness? or just acting weird?? UPDATE! With a ?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
One of my buff hens has been acting a bit weird for the past three days. She is the only one of my flock that hasn't molted yet, but today I noticed that she's looking a bit tattered, so I think she may be starting to molt.
She's an 18 month old LF buff brahma hen. They free range every day, have layer pellets and oyster shell available 24/7, plus treats. No mites or signs of any illness. She's not eggbound that I can tell.
Three nights ago she went to roost about an hour before the rest of the flock. Since then she has spent her days just sitting in the chicken yard and not foraging with the others. She sits in one spot for most of the day and goes to roost a little early. I've noticed her sleeping quite a bit during the day.
Do some hens just feel bad as they start to molt?
UPDATE: Her crop feels fine, but mostly empty. Her bottom feels swollen, but still pliable, not rock hard and I don't feel anything that even remotely feels like an egg. Her comb and wattle color is good. She turned down a treat of bread, which is a real shocker. Any ideas?

Last edited:
*shamelessly bumping*
hmm.png

It's possible but it might be wise to separate her for a while until you are sure, in case she has something contagious which is not evident now. She'll enjoy the extra attention and you can offer extra protein until you find out if her crop or vent is giving problems or if she is going through a slow moult.

I don't know for sure what to tell you....but I think LynneP probably has a good idea about penning her seperate and spoiling her for a few days. See if you can tempt her with some treats like hard boiled egg and oatmeal. I've never been one to give antibiotics...especially when you dont know what you're dealing with. I have noticed with a few of my hens that really molted heavily that they weren't quite as active as normal so maybe they don't quite feel themselves. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks so much Katy and Lynne. I do have her isolated. She looks entirely normal, except that she's not acting like herself. She's usually very vocal, especially in the evenings. She just sits.
I've been blessed in that I've not had to deal with illness with this flock, so I'm clueless.

Quote:
Katy, I was just logging on to post about this. She seems to be doing better. I put her back with the flock. She's out more with the flock and started eating again. I wormed her night before last. Her crop was full last night.
My only concern is that she is having neon green poo. I didn't see her have a bowel movement, I just noticed the green poo under the part of the roost where she spent the night. I can't remember what this neon green poo means?
I plan to worm the rest of the flock tonight.
Thanks so much for asking. I appreciate it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Green poo, especially if found in little wet pellets, is often a sign she has not been eating much and the green is bile from her gall bladder- has this changed and did she seem lighter in weight than she should have been? Worming can throw them off for a while- any dead worms in that mass?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom