Maybe not bumblefoot?

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So day before yesterday one of my smaller ducks, Patty was limping. I checked her foot and she had what looked like advanced bumblefoot. Scab, large swollen lump. The works

Brought her in. Soaked her in warm epsom salt bath. Got the teeezers and the scab came right off…

And a large pool of jet black blood came out. Squeezed it all out til the blood was red again. No kernel. And once drained, her foot was back to normal size. Swelling down.
Wrapped it and checked it in the morning and it was looking normal. And the wound was almost closed. Checked it today and it looks perfectly normal

This morning, one of my other ducks, Blue, was limping and again it looked like bumble. Scab and lump. So came in and did the Epsom salt treatment, and same thing as patty. Jet black blood, squeezed it out til the blood was red. The swelling was pretty much gone after that. And wrapped her foot.

Patty’s foot looks like nothing was every wrong. Even when getting it early, never had it take this short a time to rehab from bumble

Is it bumble just without a kernel? Or just a random infection? Don’t have a picture of it as I have treated bumble before and didn’t think it was anything else potentially. I looked like any generic bumblefoot lump and scab. but was wondering about it. we’ve gotten a ton of rain lately, just about every day this week and the pen is a mud pit at the moment til I can put some fresh straw down once it stops raining
So maybe something in the mud stirred up
Picture of patty (in the bumblefoot rehab crate) and Blue
98D99FB6-D223-4983-9E8B-CA7A4B7F4B80.jpeg
C3461C3E-12AF-458E-BB85-7B19FAB01668.jpeg

Hmmm, that almost sounds like a blood blister. The kind you get when you get a bad pinch? Is there anything they could have gotten their foot pinched in?

Beautiful ducks, btw! :)

Hmmm, that almost sounds like a blood blister. The kind you get when you get a bad pinch? Is there anything they could have gotten their foot pinched in?

Beautiful ducks, btw! :)
Thanks!

Nothing I have found that they could have pinched it on. But I will look again. It’s pretty bare floor. Natural dirt covers with a deep straw bed. Tried planting stuff in there but I have one duck that takes personal offense to anything green and kills it immediately 😂. And with all the mud there are few hard spots left.

I will give the pen a good once over and see if I missed anything. At least it’s healing well and we can get them back outside fast

Back
Top Bottom