Maybe some help in gender recognition? (pics added)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hawcer, Aug 24, 2011.

1. hawcer

hawcer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Hello,

I have 15, 1 month old chicks I will soon need to be separating and weeding out. I have 5 Sebrights, 5 Sultan bantams and 5 D'Uccles.

I think I have the sebrights figured out. Some have a wider, lighter colored strip in the comb area...I'm thinking these will be roo's....I almost thought the dark earlobes on some would be the key, but maybe not.

The D'uccles look easy...some have a higher comb already growing in about a 1/4" tall. I'm thinking they are also roo's.

The Sultans are hard to tell...they all look the same except for the haircut. some have stiff mohawks, some have more of a puff ball...some cover less area,some cover more area on the head. The biggest Sultan I have acts like a roo when I let the chicks out in small batches to frolic in the grass and dirt...it leads them all around and the rest follow. It also has the biggest puff ball haircut...

One other thing I noticed...The ones I think may be roosters will not think twice about going after bugs...they love to uncover crickets. The others will be more cautious and shy away, even if I drop a cricket at their feet.

Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't been able to post any pics or I would...if that would help any.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

first brought home pic
    [​IMG]

I had confirmation that he is a boy.

Not sure how old, but probably around 3-4 months if not older.
    He has not crowed yet.

He is skitish until I pick him up... such a weirdo [​IMG]

3. hawcer

Aug 24, 2011
    Nice looking Porcelain you have there....he looks comfy in your lap too. They say D'uccles look even better with age...I hope so, Mine are the scruffiest looking things so far.

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:just up load photoes to a place like photobucket and put the link here or get 10 plus post then you can put pics here.

5. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
  6. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:They also start taking better care of themselves too, He/she looks much better now feather wise than he/she did in those pics. He seems to be like "oh I can clean my own feathers!?".

7. hawcer

Aug 24, 2011
    @ Jakrat , yours looks like a rooster to me. When do the tail feathers start to get the bluish gray tint?

I'll have to take some good pics tonight of my chicks and post the links up on here tomorrow... I never had a hard time knowing what was going to be a rooster and what was going to be a hen when I was a kid....but I have been out of the game for 30 years,LOL.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  8. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:he has had the bluish gray feathers since I got him.

9. hawcer

Aug 24, 2011
    Here are some pics of the little peepers...

The d'uccles:

Girl?
    [​IMG]

Boy?
    [​IMG]

The whole group...three like in the first pic and two like in the second pic
    [​IMG]

The Sebrights:

Girl?
    [​IMG]

Boy?
    [​IMG]

The whole group...three like in the first pic and two like in the second pic
    [​IMG]

The Sultans:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Sultans of Swing...
    [​IMG]

10. ThomsonCentennialFarm

ThomsonCentennialFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Holliday, Missouri
    I have no idea but those Sultans are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by