Maybe some of you younger folks would know?

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
Has anyone ever heard a saying 'make art like your parents are dead'? If so, does anyone know what it means?

Nope
idunno.gif

But now I'm curious, too.

Oh that's creepy... it's said in the same manner as "Party like it's 1999"
So my first thought was Celebrate... and that is SO not what I would do if I lost a parent.

But, then maybe it could refer to releasing your emotions, creating, going for your goals,
as though your parents' expectations aren't on your shoulders?

Meh, it's a theory. I do tend to over-analyze so take it with a grain of salt.

You could be right PineappleMama, the whole message in this case read something like 'congratulates class of 2010. Make art like your parents are dead.
smile.png
' The thing is, it was my DD that wrote it and I found it rather disturbing. I wrote to ask her what the saying means since I had never heard of it (my 19 y/o DS never did either), and if I find out what her take is on it I'll pass it on. It just bothers me... I mean, I would never write to do something like your children are... I can't even finish that sentence! Even if that is what it means, couldn't they find another way to word it???

Last edited:
Yeah, precisely. I've been going NUTS lately with some of the comments coming out of my son's mouth. He just doesn't realize how much it freaks me out to hear my worst fears out loud... like he and his sister sniping at each other... he'll say something like "well I wish you'd fall out of a tree" (example) and I'm just
barnie.gif
hit.gif

So I hear ya. Knowing it was for a graduating class makes me think maybe I was right... parental expectations can be a huge blessing OR a huge burden depending on if they align with your own hopes or not.

But, I'd never be so tacky as to put it quite that way... *shudder*

I believe it has to do with releasing inhibitions, and doing the things you want to do (but your parents would disapprove of)...

kind of the opposite of how I try to live my life (other than from 10-11:30pm if DH's home
smile.png
)... Live your life like grandma's watching...
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom