Maybe the dumbest question I have ever had to ask.

I usually collect a handful of alfalfa, dandelion greens, grass, etc, tie it in a bundle, then hang it in the brooder so the bottom of the bunch is just touching the ground, they will spend hours pecking at it and jumping for higher leaves...

I vote this as the cutest thread EVER lol. I can't wait for my chickens! You guys are so lucky
smile.png

I've tried the parakeet toy thing, they ignored everything. It gave them more things to poop on.

Small branches for climbing were great though.

Quote:
Cute, nothing. This is an important thread, imo. I really do believe that boredom is a major obstacle to good health. chickens aren't THAT stupid, and if they're active and busy all day they're getting exersise, they're digesting their food better, they're not picking on each other, and just possibly laying better eggs for a longer time.

BYC forever!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
ep.gif
OMG I read this line and had visions of your kids kicking little chickies around the kitchen!!!
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
After reading all your posts - I went out and grabbed a deer skull and rack that I had sitting beside my watergarden. I put it in the brooder and the chicks are totally bewildered by it!

However - when I feed them their mealworm treats the smallest ones run behind the antlers because the bigger ones can't steal their worms that way! And I noticed that the cricket I tossed in the brooder has taken up residence at the top of one of the anter tines!

I'm curious to see if any of them use the tines to roost when they get a little older - right now they are not quite 1 1/2 weeks old.

Keep those ideas coming!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom