Maybe vent gleet? Help needed!

Hannychickenmama

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am having some issues with my hen and need some help.

A while back I realized there was water getting into my chicken’s food and they unfortunately got sick. I was pretty sure it was coxi and treated it with the recommended medicine and also some apple cider vinegar afterwards.

My one hen has had a hard time recovering. She got better but then took a turn for the worst. Her poor chicken butt is bad. I’ll post pics for reference - her feathers are wet because I was trying to clean her up with a bath.

Worth noting - she stopped roosting… I have no clue why. Not sure if she’s getting bullied off? Either way, it could be influencing her problems.

Any thoughts??
59F122E4-8A79-4DDC-914A-473574EB213C.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D4D3214-63C0-4C03-8584-AE64612FADAC.jpeg
    1D4D3214-63C0-4C03-8584-AE64612FADAC.jpeg
    859 KB · Views: 3
She has a prolapse.
Clean her up and apply some anti-inflammatory cream, honey, etc. and keep the tissue moist. You may be able to push it back in, but if it's really swollen it may not stay.
I would be wise to separate her out from the flock so the tissue does not get picked and damaged, then you'll have more issues.

Has she been laying eggs?

I would get 1 tablet of Calcium Citrate into her once a day for several days to help with retention.

She has a prolapse.
Clean her up and apply some anti-inflammatory cream, honey, etc. and keep the tissue moist. You may be able to push it back in, but if it's really swollen it may not stay.
I would be wise to separate her out from the flock so the tissue does not get picked and damaged, then you'll have more issues.

Has she been laying eggs?

I would get 1 tablet of Calcium Citrate into her once a day for several days to help with retention.
I think she has been laying eggs, but I have two hens with the same eggs so I may need to start looking more closely.

I’ll try your advice! Thank you

Hi everyone,

I am having some issues with my hen and need some help.

A while back I realized there was water getting into my chicken’s food and they unfortunately got sick. I was pretty sure it was coxi and treated it with the recommended medicine and also some apple cider vinegar afterwards.

My one hen has had a hard time recovering. She got better but then took a turn for the worst. Her poor chicken butt is bad. I’ll post pics for reference - her feathers are wet because I was trying to clean her up with a bath.

Worth noting - she stopped roosting… I have no clue why. Not sure if she’s getting bullied off? Either way, it could be influencing her problems.

Any thoughts?? View attachment 3087612

Update - I checked up on her and it looks like it went back inside.

I’ll give them added calcium. How else can I prevent this?

I would give her the Calcium for a few days.

Some common causes are listed in the link in post 2. Calcium deficiency and obesity are a couple that can be watch or prevented. Ensuring birds have a nutritionally balance poultry feed and oyster shells available, limiting treats so hens don't get too fat.

That said, I do think that some hens may be more genetically prone to prolapse, they may have all the right things to eat, but somehow are not absorbing what they need. Stress, parasites and disease can also affect the reproductive system.

Back
Top Bottom