Mayheim in the coop...What the Heck?

Keeperoflock

Songster
Mar 10, 2018
Central Indiana
Once my 8 week old chickens are in the coop for the night and are getting onto the roosts they start completely going INSANE! Jumping on top of each other, pushing the others off, flying all over the place. One actually landed on my head before I could get out. Scared the heck out of me. Squawking angrily, jumping at the window, just completely going bonkers. They ALL try to huddle on top of each other in one corner on the roosts. I'm afraid they'll hurt each other.

Their roosts (2 six foot long 2x4 boards) both level with each other and about a foot apart and about 2 foot off the floor for now. They have 3 ladders to walk up but they are able to jump up there as well. It is located opposite of the window and door. There is plenty of ventilation and I lock them in at night with water by the door.

One night I was a bit late getting home. It wasn't completely dark and when I approached the run they came running at me squawking so loudly. A few of them were already in the coop on the roost but in the corner, always in the corner like their roosts were only a foot long or something. Once I started getting them in they went crazy AGAIN.

It's been about a week now that I'm not using any heat lamp or anything. They are fine before they go in when I start herding them in. Could the darkness in the coop be freaking them out? Is this just something I need to let them work out for themselves? Is this normal behavior? Am I doing something wrong?

Crazy birds!

Once my 8 week old chickens are in the coop for the night and are getting onto the roosts they start completely going INSANE! Jumping on top of each other, pushing the others off, flying all over the place. One actually landed on my head before I could get out. Scared the heck out of me. Squawking angrily, jumping at the window, just completely going bonkers. They ALL try to huddle on top of each other in one corner on the roosts. I'm afraid they'll hurt each other.

Their roosts (2 six foot long 2x4 boards) both level with each other and about a foot apart and about 2 foot off the floor for now. They have 3 ladders to walk up but they are able to jump up there as well. It is located opposite of the window and door. There is plenty of ventilation and I lock them in at night with water by the door.

One night I was a bit late getting home. It wasn't completely dark and when I approached the run they came running at me squawking so loudly. A few of them were already in the coop on the roost but in the corner, always in the corner like their roosts were only a foot long or something. Once I started getting them in they went crazy AGAIN.

It's been about a week now that I'm not using any heat lamp or anything. They are fine before they go in when I start herding them in. Could the darkness in the coop be freaking them out? Is this just something I need to let them work out for themselves? Is this normal behavior? Am I doing something wrong?

Crazy birds!
A predator might be nearby. They are just running to you for help.

The pecking order dis-order really kicks in when chickens go to nightie night. If you are unsure of which hen or rooster is the boss chicken then sit quietly and watch your flock put themselves to bed. This is also a good way to prove to yourself that the pecking dis-order or order is in fact a real part of a chickens' life.

Remember when you complained at bed time that your older or younger brothers or sisters were looking at you, or making a face at you? Well this is how childish chickens act.

Maybe a predator... or it could be that they aren’t fitting in the “totem pole” (as I call it) or “pecking order” just quite yet. When I got my first chicken, the pecking order was really weird their first week and then they established who was boss (Smokie ). just keep an eye on them. Good luck!

The pecking order dis-order really kicks in when chickens go to nightie night. If you are unsure of which hen or rooster is the boss chicken then sit quietly and watch your flock put themselves to bed. This is also a good way to prove to yourself that the pecking dis-order or order is in fact a real part of a chickens' life.

Ok, I'll try that. Just sit in the corner. I'll have to fight them off of me though but I'll try it. My back becomes a landing strip and tonight my head became a perch. lol

For some reason the RIR's like to land on me.

Back
Top Bottom