McMurray problems this year?

mcdaid36

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Putnam County, NY
I know last year McMurray's had some issues with a disease running through their flocks, and was wondering about peoples orders this year. We put in an order for 14 bantams and 25 "regular sized" chickens. The bigger ones are doing great, no issues. The bantams on the other hand are not doing well. Well, the 6 that are left are. We've lost more than half of what we ordered (plus they added in one free one). 7 by the first day, another the next day, and just one more last night. I called and was reimbursed for the first 8 but the one last night is past their 2 days reimbursement policy.

They are in a separate brooder than the larger chicks. There were a few who looked bad even coming out of the box and I knew weren't going to make it. A couple seemed to be doing well and then a couple hours later were dead for no apparent reason. The one last night totally took us by surprise. Anyone else have this problem with a McMurray's order? Is this common with bantam chicks no matter where I get them from?

Thanks!

last year i got 25 RIR pullets and hade no problems. did you get the there vacines, and the water enhancer "yellow powder"?,and is the tempature in the box at least 95*f ?

I got them Merek's vaccines, and the vitamins for the water, and yes, the brooder is up to temp. This is not the first time I am raising chicks, and the others from this order are all doing well. I've never lost a chick before. It's not an environmental thing, such as food, water, and brooder. I just can't figure it out...

Last year a lot of people lost chicks from McMurrays. Glad your chicks are all doing great! Last year we ordered from Cackle and were very happy with our order. I was just wondering from people who have ordered bantams before, if this is typical. They are much smaller and seem to be much more fragile that the bigger chicks.

We typically lose a few more bantams than regular sized chicks, but I would not expect you to lose close to half of them. I have not ordered from Murray Mcmurray, but again I would expect maybe one or two not eight. Hope the others end up doing well.

Sheila

Last fall I ordered 35 large breed chickens from them. By the end I was down to only 9 that lived.
sad.png
13 were DOA and then they just started dying off one by one. I have raised several chickens before so I knew what I was doing. I think it is a problem with MM. I already saw a few posts this year about people losing MM chicks also
sad.png
I am never using them again.

My coworker ordered bantam cochins from them and I think that she has around 17 left. That's from the first order of 25 with extras and from the replacement order of 25 additional chicks. She had quite a few DOA on both orders and then like you, some that you could tell weren't going to make it.

I was hesitant to use them because of last years problems that I heard about, but thought they would really try to redeem themselves this year. We ordered form them because some of the other people who were ordering with me did not want the minimum of 5 per breed that cackle had. But I thought it would be fine because like I said above, they would want to redeem the good name they had in the past. I don't see myself ordering from them again after these problems. Hopefully of the few that are surviving, I will have a hen and a rooster to breed my own for the future, and not have to order. It's just depressing to see all these little dead chicks. I have to wake up early before the kids to make sure there are no dead ones in sight or they start crying.

Thanks for the feed back everyone.

I'm scared now.
hide.gif
I ordered from MM and will be picking them up directly from the hatchery on apr 26. Since they won't be shipped, i hope I'll have a better chance. These are my 1st.

Back
Top Bottom