1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Me?! You want ME to hatch IGUANAS for you?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lacrymosa, May 19, 2010.

1. Lacrymosa

Lacrymosa In the Brooder

Mar 4, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Okay, so my poultry egg incubating business has been booming lately with me having the flyers up in the feed stores, but this one takes the cake for sure. Not the "parrot lady", or the "ostrich man", but the iguana kid we had call the other day. He wanted to know if we could take in a couple dozen iguana eggs to incubate. The first thing that ran across my mind when he spoke the sentence was, "What if they escape and EAT the baby chicks?!" [​IMG]
    I don't think they'd do that now though, but you can't control those split-second thoughts now, can you?

I dunno guys, should I go for it? [​IMG]

2. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm 8 Years

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    well it would be different lol you could try lol i wanna see pics [​IMG]

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    do they need incubating? I thought it was a hole in the ground type of deal.
    Aquarium with lid and some moist paper towels.
    But I do not know. I suggest a google.

4. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Crowing

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Gotta be careful how much Chick Starter you feed those iguanas.

5. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Songster

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yes, iguana eggs are incubated but I think the temp is different. I would research a bit, and then try it. Sounds fun!

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    LOL! Are you sure the kid wasn't pulling your leg because of your flier? Where would anyone get a dozen iguana eggs and even if they did, would they be fertile?
    I've owned two iguanas in my life. Both were boys, so I dunno about hatching those eggs.

7. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    Couldn't hurt to try. I've got Bearded Dragons, and have bred them...but I had the mama to take care of the incubation....hatched 2/2 eggs. Can't remember the amount of time it took...but they were too cute.

I say research it and go for it!! [​IMG]

8. msheets

msheets Songster

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    That would be neat, I'd definitely give it a try. I've seen people get a tupperware container filled with clean dirt to set the eggs in but only bury them halfway then incubate with the lid on. I'm not sure the temp though but I'm sure google could find the answer. Oh you probably know this but they shouldn't eat the baby chicks, they're vegetarians, good luck & I agree, pictures! (=

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I would read up and go for it! WOW!!!

And then post pics of course [​IMG]

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    A quick Google finds lots of info on incubating iguana eggs. Looks pretty straightforward. Also does not appear to need an incubator in the sense of that word when we talk about poultry.

In Florida iguanas are a nuisiance animal and I would not hatch them. In Texas maybe not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: