Do you believe this tiny Muscovy egg is still alive?? šŸ„°šŸ™

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Good morning!

My daughter found 5 abandoned eggs scattered around our coupe a month ago. I was not going to incubate any more eggs due to all of the previous problems we have encountered with incubation. But a friend of mine fell in love with our Muscovyā€™s and very much wants to start her own small flock, so she talked me into incubating the 5 eggs. One of the eggs looks like a tiny ā€œfairy eggā€ and I truly thought it could never be fertilize or develop. Well, we are on day 34 and this tiny egg is ALIVE and seems to be right on track!
Iā€™m truly amazed, but the air cell is at the pointy end and the shell is VERY thick!
I donā€™t see how this duckling could ever hatch on itā€™s own if by some miracle we get to that point.
Has anyone else ever had a duckling actually hatch and survive from such a tiny egg???
Iā€™d love to know!

And Iā€™d like to add that I plan on learning from my previous mistakes and let nature take its course this time and not interfere other than adding a safety hole if necessary, as not ONE of my 8 ducks ever hatched on their own, I had to intervene with every one and I believe I did so too quickly, but now I honestly donā€™t know when it REALLY is time to help..

Very kindly,
Amy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 9
That will be amazing if the fairy egg hatches! I only have chickens, but often times the tiny eggs don't even have yolks.
As far as assisting a hatch, the article i will link below should help you know exactly when and how to assist. Good luck with your duck egg; i will be following to see what transpires!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Hi! šŸ’•

I honestly couldnā€™t believe it even had a yolk to start with, but my daughter found it and begged me to try.
I canā€™t imagine how a large breed Muscovy duckling could possibly live, develop and hatch out of an egg the size of a ping pong ball!
The air cell is in the pointed end and is quite small, which concerns me because the shell is VERY thick on that end and has tiny bumps like ā€œgoose bumpsā€ on it. I canā€™t imagine how the duckling could possibly hatch on its own. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

One of our other eggs internally piped days ago and didnā€™t progress, so I made a safety hole on Friday. Still as of yesterday no progress, so I watched 10 videos on YouTube and they all said to open the hole to a dime size to get a view. Now STILL no progress and the membrane is hard! So i moistened it with warm water and Vaseline and took off a bit more shell like I was instructed until I hit a live vein that was still attached to the shell, so I stopped and put it back in the incubator. The duckling is not ā€œchewingā€ so Iā€™m assuming the yolk sac is absorbed. She took a little water and is now back in the incubator.
I believe she is malpositioned so she couldnā€™t hatch on her own, her beak was in the center of the egg instead of in the air sac. So of course Iā€™m a nervous wreck because this has happened before no matter how careful I am!

Have a blessed day!
Amy

Wow! Hope your fairy egg makes it!
One of my deepest fascinations is the development patterns and progress of double yolk eggs or fairy eggs.
Iā€™ve been told by so many people hatching fairy eggs is impossible, wish I could show them this.
I canā€™t help much, but please, keep us updated! Really hope that little one does well. It was probably too big for the shell and thus unable to turn properly.

Back
Top Bottom