Meal Worms

20181024_232609.jpg
my current setup.....this grows enough for my flock (11) and loads of extras that I can sell to offset costs, create some spending $.

20180603_170943.jpg

What I started with, would easily grow enough for just my birds. I make and sell these locally to folks wanting to start their own farm. My cost to build these is about $11.00

I am at about a year in, just coming to the end of a 50 pound bag of wheat bran ($18)....and I feed my whole farm on two carrots a day (10lb bag $5 lasts about a month)

Best advice I can offer is find good starter stock. *some* commercially sold stock is treated to prevent pupation (hormonal treatment early on) which means they never turn onto beetles, which would mean no completing the life cycle. You *can* source from a pet store, but will pay a premium for okay stock that way.....you'll get more, bigger, healthier starter stock from a private grower imo. If you go store route, ask whether they source them commercially or from a local source

The colony approach, all together, can certainly work. I separate as it is more efficient for me at the volume I'm producing. There are 20 drawers in my carts....one is pupa, three are beetles, 14 are worms of various stages and two are currently empty as I recently consolidated and cut back temporarily due to going out of town for a time and trying to simplify fir the worm sitter....I had it down to 14 drawers total at that point and am ramping back up.

Do you keep this in your home, garage? I think that is what I am trying to figure out. I have researched it and many state they have to have warmer areas to keep the boxes in
This is a closet in my home. They would not be suited to an unheated environment. I know some folks choose garage, etc and add heat to their farm (seeding mats, reptile heaters, etc) but that seems like making it harder and more costly considering you can put them anywhere in the house and never know they were there (maintained there is no smell, no mess). I know folks who use solid colored drawer units (plastic storage drawers) and have them out in an open part of their home with guests never realizing it's a worm farm.

Back
Top Bottom