Meal worms

sdm1908

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Florida, USA
Okay guys, I want to start my own live meal worm colony. Where should I get the meal worms from and where's the cheapest place to get quality worms?

I saw a bunch on Ebay.. But as cold as it is here now would prob have to have them wait to send....
Hubby bought me a tiny cup ful at pet store I wasnt ready for them at the time. I neglect the little buggers and they died.... WORM ABUSE.....
I should have whipped out plastic shoeboxes and meal and put them in... I had to many iron in the fire at the time.. Now wish I could find black drawers Sterlite etc... 3 drawers.. forgot to look when in Big town last week. Prob pasted Staples or Office Depot twice that day.... Duh

I saw a bunch on Ebay.. But as cold as it is here now would prob have to have them wait to send....
 Hubby bought me a tiny cup ful at pet store   I wasnt ready for them at the time. I neglect the little buggers and they died.... WORM ABUSE.....
 I should have whipped out plastic shoeboxes and meal and put them in... I had to many iron in the fire at the time.. Now wish I could find black drawers Sterlite etc... 3 drawers.. forgot to look when in Big town last week. Prob pasted Staples or Office Depot twice that day.... Duh
I live in Florida so it's always hot. If you don't mind my asking, how much were they at the store?

Perhaps post your query in the FL state thread in the "where am I, where are you?" section. I know there is at least one guy in Florida (I know, it's a big state) that raises mealworms and perhaps would be willing to sell you some.

Not sure which mealworm farms live in warmer climes, most of the ones I looked at said they won't ship if the weather is cold where they are or where they're being shipped to.

Enjoy! I love my mealworm farm. Started with 2000 (about $13 with shipping) and a year later have probably 10-15k. I feed about a 1/2 cup total per week, maybe a little less.

If you go to a pet store, you will more likely pay about $5 for 100-200 mealworms. Some people start that way, but it will take much much longer to build up your farm before you can start feeding them, or way more expensive. I'd start with 5-10k, if I were you, and ask to get some beetles in the mix, so they will start laying eggs right away.

Back
Top Bottom