Mealworm farming

Sorry, having problems with the multi quote and quote buttons today.

AZYGOUS: your "mealie ring" is really freaky looking. Kinda like an alien crop circle. But I think ACREED had a good answer. But I love the picture and the puzzle you gave us. Kinda like paranormal stuff for us meal worm farmers.

MIRAQUILA: The smallest wormies I have seen have been about 1/4 inch long and have been brown in color. they were not white or oval in any way and looked exactly like teeny-tiny mealworms. I have not tried looking for eggs. Before seeing the actual meal worms, i saw movement in the substrate (which for me is laying pellets ground finely in a food processor). Hope that helps.

I think you're just seeing the brown ones because they're easier to see. They always are light creamy color just after shedding their skin, then turn darker just before they shed another layer as they grow :)

I think I need to get a new box for mine, they're getting pretty big and I realize I actually have a lot of them. If I don't they might start eating each other or something???!!!

I think you're just seeing the brown ones because they're easier to see. They always are light creamy color just after shedding their skin, then turn darker just before they shed another layer as they grow :)

I think I need to get a new box for mine, they're getting pretty big and I realize I actually have a lot of them. If I don't they might start eating each other or something???!!!
You are probably right. I most likely see the brown ones the most because they are at the surface shedding their skins. Every once in a while I do see a larger one that is white or very pale but this is one that was brought to the surface by disturbing the substrate.

we've got a couple of inches of wheat bran in the drawers where the mealworms/beetles reside. don't really see a lot of the beetles. so, we put a folded up paper towel, piece of brown paper bag, etc on the top of the wheat bran - so that the girls can see hordes of beetles when you lift the paper a bit and peek.

just thought i'd throw that out there for folks, in case they were wondering if they indeed had any darkling beetles roaming about... apparently they don't much love the light?

edit: typo

Last edited:
I finally got my first beetle today!!!! Totally and completely amazed!!
woot.gif
wee.gif

My 8 year old raises them for our chickens. She has the in a tote with 3 inches of instant oatmeal and 4 baby carrots every other day. When they start over running to the chickens they go!! She does a great job with them and the chicken love them.

How are ya'll feeding mealworms to your chickens? I haven't fed a lot out yet since I am trying to get my farm going. However I'm trying to come up with a good way of feeding the worms out. I was thinking about maybe a bin with dirt in it and putting the worms in that in the chicken run so they can scratch and find the worms themselves. But I'm not sure how well that would work. I don't want to just give the worms to my girls, I want them to have to work for them. Ideas?

I just give mine theirs. The kids and my hubby and my self go out twice a day and ha feed all treats. Our choice yours may be different. So all our chicken of different ages stay completely tame. The only way I can think of letting them scatch for them would be in a box but you could only put so many at a time or your entire stock would be gone in an hour! And probably by one or two chickens. Don't know how many you have. Maybe someone else would have a better idea hopefully. Sorry that didn't really help to much :(

Back
Top Bottom