Mealworm farming

I have a quick question. Is there any danger of beetles becoming overcrowded?

Due to my heating my mealworm farm https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/492636/mealworm-farming/6470#post_12746469, the speeded up life cycles have resulted in an explosion in my beetle population. I'm thrilled, but a little concerned. There seem to be thousands all roiling together in happy procreation, but is this healthy for them to be so crowded?

In our opinion, the general rule of thumb for beetles being overcrowded is: If you can not see the substrate, then overcrowding might be a problem. Meaning if you have beetles down in the substrate, and bunches hiding in the tubes or egg cartons, and still when you look down and the beetles are pulled on each other in a way that the substrate is completely obscured, it might be an issue.

Over crowding probably does not hurt or bother the beetles, however. The bigger question is when they are overcrowded will they get enough food and moisture, to lay eggs at optimum rates. Also with the larger numbers, are they more likely to eat thier own eggs?

Some feed stores have it. I get mine at a health food store that sells it in bulk.

One easy place to get wheat bran from, in urban areas, is a place like whole foods. They, and many other stores have 'bulk bins' and often have wheat bran in some. You may pay more per pound, but you can buy just the amount you want.

Well, the eggs are all being sifted down to the bottom drawer in my three-drawer beetle box, so most of the eggs are collected there and are safe from being eaten. The two other drawers have nothing but beetles in them on their substrate of rolled oats with frequent carrots chunks as moisture. So if crowding is okay with them, it's okay with me.

Frazar, all I can say is, you're awesome! Or maybe you have too much time on your hands.

One easy place to get wheat bran from, in urban areas, is a place like whole foods. They, and many other stores have 'bulk bins' and often have wheat bran in some. You may pay more per pound, but you can buy just the amount you want.

I get bran from the farm co-op. You have to make sure your getting wheat bran from a farm store. They will give you rice bran every time if you don't specify wheat and i have no idea if rice bran will work with mealworms.

All the local farm store feed is fairly expensive compared to farm stores in other parts of the country but bran is $17 per 50 pounds. But, it's far cheaper than buying bran at the grocery store where $17 would only buy 8 pounds if your lucky

I have 1100 mealworms on the way! When should they arrive? They were shipped yesterday.
I can't wait! I don't even have bran yet! Yikes! Can't I feed them oat meal?

Back
Top Bottom