mealworms for pullets

babybop11

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
Sorry if this is a silly question. Is there any such thing as too many mealworms to feed my pullets? I worry they’re having too many, they bloody love them. They about 5 weeks old.

Sorry if this is a silly question. Is there any such thing as too many mealworms to feed my pullets? I worry they’re having too many, they bloody love them. They about 5 weeks old.
they are very high in protein and fat so if you feed them too many they can get a protein overload and get kinda fat, but because they are also so young treats shouldn’t really replace more than 5% of their diet I think so feed them in moderation when they are so young😊

Yes. I meal worm is equivalent to a snickers bar for us, which is why they love it.

Overfeeding treats can lead to fatty livers and death in the birds.

Yes. I meal worm is equivalent to a snickers bar for us, which is why they love it.

Overfeeding treats can lead to fatty livers and death in the birds.
In people fatty liver is caused by high carbs, not high fat. I wonder if it might be the same with poultry??

In people fatty liver is caused by high carbs, not high fat. I wonder if it might be the same with poultry??
As I understand it, estrogen plays a large role in it, as its presence naturally is high and causes fat in the liver. Chickens are obviously very hormonal.

And then it just has something to do excess energy. Chickens who free range in general are less likely to get it regardless of diet because they are expending more energy than a chicken who may be confined to a run or coop.

So yes, I'm not super familiar with carbs (they're science that is. Very familiar with eating them 😜) but I think carbs would be considered a high energy food.

Back
Top Bottom