Mean chicken!

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Alright I’ve got a mean chicken. She’s an Australorp. Not sure on age but she’s just about ready to start laying. She will let me pick her up and pet her. But she will also chase me and bite me! Please tell me it’s just hormones and she will chill out. I can’t get anything done outside without her biting at my legs or arms or anywhere! She got my love handle today when I wasn’t paying attention! Anything I can do to show her I’m boss??

Alright I’ve got a mean chicken. She’s an Australorp. Not sure on age but she’s just about ready to start laying. She will let me pick her up and pet her. But she will also chase me and bite me! Please tell me it’s just hormones and she will chill out. I can’t get anything done outside without her biting at my legs or arms or anywhere! She got my love handle today when I wasn’t paying attention! Anything I can do to show her I’m boss??
Hi Jamie!
I have a meanie also! I got bit today three times on the hand which drew blood and it was my bad arthritic hand and it didn’t feel good at all. The good thing is my sweet lead hen but her Back twice for me on my behalf. I really loved her for taking up for Mama. I’m not sure what the experts would say but I think if you can grab her head and hold her down for a few seconds and also peck her on the chest under her beak like they do pretty hard that usually gets their attention but don’t let her continue to get away with this behavior at all. You can’t tolerate this no way. Good luck with her. Let her know you are the lead hen.

Anything I can do to show her I’m boss??
Peck her back!!
Do not allow this behavior to continue...and certainly don't run from her.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Peck her back!!
Do not allow this behavior to continue...and certainly don't run from her.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

I knew I had read that on here some where!!!

I knew I had read that on here some where!!!
I have a Bantum Silkie rooster that would attack me. I tried pecking him back on the top of his head but it didn't work even after repeated attempts. . I couldn't bear to get rid of him as he was in my first group of chickens. So he lives in a run by himself and I fill up his water dish with a water hose and throw his feed and dried meal worms and lettuce on the ground. I greet him with "Hello, Mr Cinnamon, you mean old thing" He gets to see the other silkies from his flock when they go over to his run.

What does work for males...? I've tried pecking and holding down, but not pecking while holding down. Would that be a better strategy?
Fighting with the males leads to more fighting with the males.
It's tougher rehabbing them as they are hard wired to protect and some overachievers perceive many of our actions as threats to their girls, either physically or to their ability to pass their genes on through them (ie. you steal their offspring daily, you try to steal their girls by offering them food, etc.)
I lot of rooster rehab involves really understanding how your actions affect him and modifying behavior so he doesn't perceive you as a threat.
At the same time you must ignore all his attacks. That means coming to the battle well armed in sturdy jeans and boots and long sleeve. NEVER step back or run away from his attacks. Go calmly into them and grab him. Then work to calm him down and gently release him. What this does is reassure him you aren't afraid of him, he'll never drive you off and you won't hurt him. I also try to feed any treats to him to give the girls.
My boy spent nearly a year flogging me and challenging me and slamming my legs from behind all while I was working on building the new coop, run and pen.
It's been over a year since he's done any of this and he's actually the easiest in my flock to handle.
For me, it was a great learning experience.

I have a Bantum Silkie rooster that would attack me. I tried pecking him back on the top of his head but it didn't work even after repeated attempts. . I couldn't bear to get rid of him as he was in my first group of chickens. So he lives in a run by himself and I fill up his water dish with a water hose and throw his feed and dried meal worms and lettuce on the ground. I greet him with "Hello, Mr Cinnamon, you mean old thing" He gets to see the other silkies from his flock when they go over to his run.
I hear you! My Verbena Meana has settled some a tiny bit now that she has begun to lay however I do not hand feed her. I often have to take the kids size rake after her when I lock up the coop at night if she is bullying one of the other hens and trying to keep her from roosting properly. When I starting fussing at her and go for the rake she knows that she is in trouble. I’m not above throwing her out into the run all night and making her stay out there by herself all night long because she would be plenty predator safe. It would teach her mean old tail a lesson for a once!😊

Back
Top Bottom