mean hens...will they cull thier own

skeeter03

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Vernon
I had a hen get injured awhile back but even before I put her in confinement the rest of the ladies would gang up on her and just peck her to peices.
I put her in solitary confinement in a big dog cage right up next to the run everyone could see everyone.
her leg got sorta better enough so she was walking around on it so i put her back in the hen house at night - next day they did the same thing relentlessly pecking her all of the hens.
so i put her back into confinement and decided to try again in a week well this time it was even worse. they would not let her get near the food or drink and they would attack her even if she was hiding in a nest box.
so whats up with that and well how am I going to get the hen back with the rest of them or am I not and should i just cull her now.
Cause I also have a baby that needs to be put in with the rest of them soon and well it is actually in the run in a cage.

Are you integrating her slowly to them .. Just because she was with them does not mean tehy remember her... You should (if you arent already) put her into a cage in the coop or run for awhile before trying to reintgrate her....This gives them time to get to know eachother again and should cut back on the pecking /bullying... Also does she still have any red or raw places?? If so the others will pick them and reopen any injuries.. You could cover with pine tar or blu kote to take care of this...

We tried the slowly integrating thing didn't seem to work at all with her. she didnt have any wounds when we put her back with the rest. I even spent a week slowly adding one hen to the mix at a time but still they just tore her up. it was like mob mentality if one hen started at her they all seemed to jump in the mix . I think we will just end up putting her into the freezer cause i dont know what else to do with her. NOt the end of the world she was guilty of eating eggs to i busted her before she ever got hurt BRAT!!!!
Thanks for the advice will remember it with the other little guy I have to put in the mix but so far they seem to ignore him when he is in the cage. with missy they would try to get her in the cage to . Funny chickens!

Back
Top Bottom