Mean, mean "Attilla the Hen"

Attachments

• 191BBDC5-1909-484F-881F-9BFE7B1472D3.jpeg
    191BBDC5-1909-484F-881F-9BFE7B1472D3.jpeg
    684.9 KB · Views: 4
How are Atilla and your (big!) babies! Here’s an update on Susan: we have her four Favorelles and three Ameraucana chicks. She is so happy to have them and such a devoted mom!

Oh @Mixed flock enthusiast!!! That's wonderful news!!! Congrats on the new babies! Oh, Susan's just so pretty and she does look like her dream's finally come true now, with her precious, new babies! What a beautiful little family! I'm so glad for you and Susan! And what a happy, fun addition to your flock! :love

Attila seems to have really calmed down. I did have to remove her to the garage just for 2 nights - a while ago... but she seems ok now. She's laying well, not sneaking onto the nest anymore, and the broodiness seems to be over - thankfully!

The 'babies' (at over 13 weeks now) are catching up rapidly in size, and have established their own little rank amongst themselves... while all still holding fast - to the common bond of disliking the 2 big hens. I have however, gone out to the coop at night, on more than 1 occasion - to discover 1/2 the babies sleeping on the floor of the coop, or in the nesting boxes, which I'm not thrilled about. The other half of the babies are on the roosts with the 2 hens. But with two, 5' long rows to roost upon - there is WAY MORE than enough space for the 2 adult hens & 10 babies... but it seems half of them don't want to go up there. I move them up onto it - by hand, and they stay there... but I hope they'll learn to use it... (sure would be easier to clean each day). They USE to go up on it before the attack of Attila... so idk what that's all about.

Here's a few of the babies having watermelon, and a pic of the roosting bars in the coop... Do some chickens just NOT roost?
watermelon - 1.jpg

watermelon - 1 (1).jpg

Thanks! Here’s a pic before her head poof was plucked by a breeding roo!

lol... ok, i'm sorry... but this just make me burst out laughing... That's awful, but just struck me funny... Her head poof... plucked out? LOL... Poor little dolly! The things she must think!!! But she's so darn cute! Honestly, I've never been partial to silkies... but must admit now... I'm looking at her and thinking wouldn't a little fluffy like that - be a fun and pretty addition to the flock... ohhh this chicken thing IS SOOOOO addictive!!!!!!!!

Oh @Mixed flock enthusiast!!! That's wonderful news!!! Congrats on the new babies! Oh, Susan's just so pretty and she does look like her dream's finally come true now, with her precious, new babies! What a beautiful little family! I'm so glad for you and Susan! And what a happy, fun addition to your flock!

Attila seems to have really calmed down. I did have to remove her to the garage just for 2 nights - a while ago... but she seems ok now. She's laying well, not sneaking onto the nest anymore, and the broodiness seems to be over - thankfully!

The 'babies' (at over 13 weeks now) are catching up rapidly in size, and have established their own little rank amongst themselves... while all still holding fast - to the common bond of disliking the 2 big hens. I have however, gone out to the coop at night, on more than 1 occasion - to discover 1/2 the babies sleeping on the floor of the coop, or in the nesting boxes, which I'm not thrilled about. The other half of the babies are on the roosts with the 2 hens. But with two, 5' long rows to roost upon - there is WAY MORE than enough space for the 2 adult hens & 10 babies... but it seems half of them don't want to go up there. I move them up onto it - by hand, and they stay there... but I hope they'll learn to use it... (sure would be easier to clean each day). They USE to go up on it before the attack of Attila... so idk what that's all about.

Here's a few of the babies having watermelon, and a pic of the roosting bars in the coop... Do some chickens just NOT roost?
View attachment 1833179

View attachment 1833180
Thank you, yes Susan is so thrilled with her babies! She has a new lease of life and I’m very happy for her!:love

Glad to hear that Atilla is doing so well! I introduced new birds last year that were only 2 mo younger than the others, and those two groups are still separate subgroups a year later! I guess whom you are brooded with makes a big difference in chickendom...

Your roosts are a lot like mine, except lower to the ground. My two rows are too close to each other, so the higher row chickens peck at the lower row chickens, making my lower roost very unpopular. I plan to redo roosts sometime this summer to make them a full foot apart... I would block the nest boxes at night so they have to roost or sleep on the floor as sleeping in nest boxes is a bad habit that you want to nip in the bud!:th

Thank you, yes Susan is so thrilled with her babies! She has a new lease of life and I’m very happy for her!:love

Glad to hear that Atilla is doing so well! I introduced new birds last year that were only 2 mo younger than the others, and those two groups are still separate subgroups a year later! I guess whom you are brooded with makes a big difference in chickendom...

Your roosts are a lot like mine, except lower to the ground. My two rows are too close to each other, so the higher row chickens peck at the lower row chickens, making my lower roost very unpopular. I plan to redo roosts sometime this summer to make them a full foot apart... I would block the nest boxes at night so they have to roost or sleep on the floor as sleeping in nest boxes is a bad habit that you want to nip in the bud!:th

It sure does seem to make a difference! I'd just been searching this, & reading about the -subgroups!!! Someone mentioned that until their new pullets started laying, they remained a separate subgroup - and then finally integrated as they were more mature, laying hens... so I've got hope!

Ya know, I kinda thought that the peeps -sneaking into the nesting boxes at night - wasn't a very good idea... I saw the little feathers... Hummm... I think I'll put a light board, across the front of the boxes at night, thanks for the reinforcements on that!

I was pointed in the direction of this post because I also started a thread on this exact same subject.
Well... I was actually the bigger proponent of the pinless peepers. That way she can still interact with the flock but won't lose her noodle trying to kill the chicks. If you put them on her for 2 weeks or so, that is going to allow all the birds to interact together and she won't be able to peck the chicks while they continue to gain size and integrate in with the hens. I don't really believe "time out" works for chickens like it does for toddlers. It requires the ability to sit and 'think about what you've done' and chickens don't do that. When you put her in the crate, you are just knocking her down in the pecking order and I think that is the current source of her aggression. She sees all these little chickens that are potentially going to outrank her and she'll be damned if that is going to happen.
I have 10 hens and a rooster and 15 six-week old chicks. Hands down the two hens giving the chicks the hardest time are the HBIC and the lowest ranking hen. I feel that the lowest ranking hen does not want these littles to shove her even further down to the bottom of an a new taller totem pole.
I was pointed in the direction of this post because I also started a thread on this exact same subject. This is SO interesting!!! My lowest ranking hen is also so unbelievably vicious to the newbies. I just couldn't understand it. But what you said totally makes sense! It doesn't necessarily solve my problem, but does certainly give this behavior some perspective.

UPDATE: I let Attila out of the penalty box around noon to mingle with the flock. At first she was fine, probably for about 30-40 minutes... then she started chasing the littles for no apparent reason. The chicks were all laying down napping - and she walked towards them, and attacked. It's not like they were trying to share or take her prize food, or take the best dust bath spot... it was just random nastiness. So I acted immediately, & put her back in the penalty box.

Around 6 pm, we let her out again. She was mellow and behaved within the realm of what an adult hen should do - with new, 9+ week old chicks... no aggression was detected, so we let her stay out. There were no issues.

But I was constantly checking - and then it began to get dark... and everyone started moving into the coop as normal. Good sign. Watching from the camera, I saw 7 chicks hop up through the chicken door - into the coop, and move up onto the roosts... ugh... then in walks Attila. They all scattered as she lunged at them, they were flying up the walls, hitting the windows, smashing into each other in a panic to get away from her. She was pecking & biting at them and they ran out. I watched her climb up on the top roosting bar and settle there. No one was in the coop now, except her.

Then, the chicks began to go back into the coop, to try again... and she attacked anyone that tried to climb up onto the roosting bars... even when they were at the far end, about 5 feet away & no where near her.

I ran outside at this point, and got her out of the coop, and she's back in the penalty box out in the run.

She's been on that roost with 6 other chickens last year this time, that were all her age when her group of chicks came in. I'm starting to wonder if she's crazy... or mental.

Now we move onto plan 2: Tomorrow my husband will help me put the pinless peepers on her. More to come.
I am really grateful to be reading this thread! I agree that this forum is incredible and has helped me in so many ways over the years! I have my own version of Attila demonstrating the EXACT same behaviors. I did find something that worked for the night time (using the out of sight, out of mind technique suggested by someone here). I placed a big piece of cardboard dividing the roost into 2 sections. On the very first night, my "mature" flock all went to the left side (amazing that they did that) leaving the right side open. I had to place all 3 squawking newbies on the roost on the right side but within seconds, they realized they were safe and calmed down. It was AMAZING!!! I have now been doing this for a week and a half and night time, at least, is peaceful. The only problem I'm having is that the babies don't go into the coop/roost on their own and I have to place them there each night. They put up a fuss but once I put them on the roost, they relax and settle in for the night. So that, at least, solves one problem.

I was pointed in the direction of this post because I also started a thread on this exact same subject.

I was pointed in the direction of this post because I also started a thread on this exact same subject. This is SO interesting!!! My lowest ranking hen is also so unbelievably vicious to the newbies. I just couldn't understand it. But what you said totally makes sense! It doesn't necessarily solve my problem, but does certainly give this behavior some perspective.

I came here too from reading YOUR post @Orit lol!
Thank you @FiddleChics for your progress - I am just about to intergrate my pullets to hens and fear my PBR will be my Atilla. I feel more equipped to deal with any nonsense that arises. Of course I hope we will not have a problem!

I came here too from reading YOUR post @Orit lol!
Thank you @FiddleChics for your progress - I am just about to intergrate my pullets to hens and fear my PBR will be my Atilla. I feel more equipped to deal with any nonsense that arises. Of course I hope we will not have a problem!
Hi @chloeonz and @Orit!!! In retrospect now, I'm glad too, that I started this thread! I always hesitate, but sometimes frustration - when hit my wits end made me write - so I'm glad it's been helpful!!! A lot of BYC friends have amazing insights and ideas, and totally agree that this site is just an amazing resource with great folks!

I'm still hassling on & off - with my Attila, & yesterday I realized she's sliding back into broodiness again... ugh! I will probably put her back in isolation, in a crate so she can't sneak onto the nesting boxes, but she's still laying... And the bullying the peeps off the roost is starting again too (which seems to go hand in hand with her being broody). Half the peeps (some of which are full grown and a few have begun to lay) are back to being huddled on the floor... & though I put them up on the roost at night - by hand, they jump off, as soon as I shut the door & walk away. The cardboard divider is a really good idea... I need to try that tonight for sure!

I will also put the Pinless Peepers back on her - which I've had to do a few more times since this thread began - BOY I am glad to have them! I felt totally terrible - the first time I used them on her... but that's past, and they're just GREAT to have on hand. But it only seems to stop the nonsense for about 2 weeks after I take them off... then it's back to being nasty Attila... which I'm starting to realize is just her personality.

I just want to have a happy little flock... and my dismay has made my husband say I should start thinking of trying to re-home her... but that's better than the cook pot... as I venture to guess that she tastes as nasty as she behaves... Oof...

Back
Top Bottom