Mean, mean "Attilla the Hen"

Final update! Attila the Hen has turned over a new feather!!! The Pinless Peepers came off of her after 6 days (I just couldn't stand it anymore) and her chasing and attacking the peeps - has stopped! She did peck at one of the peeps when they came too close while she was eating... but that - was within the 'normal' range of chicken pecking order behavior! The Peeps are wary of her, but not scared anymore... AND - their size has had the 2 weeks of growing advantage and at 12 weeks, they're getting closer in size to the hens. She's back in the coop, and everyone save a few peeps (who prefer the chair in the coop) are on the roost together.

I threw scratch out, and they shared... under our watchful eyes... and finally, thanks to you all here at BYC... I think I can safely say - there's peace in the coop again and I'm SO glad! Thank you everyone for your wise insights and advice! The broodiness seems to be past and the adult hens are both laying again, and no more growling, puffery, lingering on the nests too long or aggressive posturing.

The time out box at night - for 4 days worked well, in addition to the pinless peepers for 1 week. I'd say I give the pinless peepers an A+. They really changed her mindset, while she could still eat, drink, scratch, peck and do all her chicken things... except be a bully!
That’s awesome news Fiddlesticks! I know that you’ve put a lot of thought and energy into making this work. Atilla
Is one lucky girl to have you!!! Thanks for all of the updates, really gives me something to think about. Susan, my broody silkie that we talked about, is sitting on eggs that I hope will hatch this weekend! Here she is with a frozen water bottle due to the heat...

Attachments

• 9EAC6E56-B5A7-4569-B23B-AEB670E9F245.jpeg
    9EAC6E56-B5A7-4569-B23B-AEB670E9F245.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 11
That’s awesome news Fiddlesticks! I know that you’ve put a lot of thought and energy into making this work. Atilla
Is one lucky girl to have you!!! Thanks for all of the updates, really gives me something to think about. Susan, my broody silkie that we talked about, is sitting on eggs that I hope will hatch this weekend! Here she is with a frozen water bottle due to the heat...

Awww! I'm glad it helped! Your little Silkie's adorable! And such a pretty, soft color!!! Oh I hope it works for little Susan! Looking forward to the updates on that! Frozen water bottle's a good idea too! Attila's been... well, mostly good... and the peeps are at almost 13 weeks now, and getting BIG - so they'll be taking (hopefully) less guff from her... when she gets bossy. My son said that he saw her being pretty mean the other night when he went to close up the coop... I've been watching her again... and the grumbling's starting all over again... so I think the pinless peepers may make another appearance for a few days - if I see any hint of even remote nastiness. I'm not hesitating this time! I'm REALLY glad to have them on hand!
@Mixed flock enthusiast - If you post about Susan and her new babies... TAG ME!!!! I'm not real good with navigating in the BYC site yet - I'd love to see how things are going!!! :)

Awww! I'm glad it helped! Your little Silkie's adorable! And such a pretty, soft color!!! Oh I hope it works for little Susan! Looking forward to the updates on that! Frozen water bottle's a good idea too! Attila's been... well, mostly good... and the peeps are at almost 13 weeks now, and getting BIG - so they'll be taking (hopefully) less guff from her... when she gets bossy. My son said that he saw her being pretty mean the other night when he went to close up the coop... I've been watching her again... and the grumbling's starting all over again... so I think the pinless peepers may make another appearance for a few days - if I see any hint of even remote nastiness. I'm not hesitating this time! I'm REALLY glad to have them on hand!
@Mixed flock enthusiast - If you post about Susan and her new babies... TAG ME!!!! I'm not real good with navigating in the BYC site yet - I'd love to see how things are going!!! :)
Hi FiddleChics, well Atilla had better watch her ps and qs! :gig Unfortunately, the four eggs that we put under Susan failed to hatch; the chicks died late in development for reasons unclear to me. So, I’ve ordered chicks from a hatchery that should be here Friday. I plan to slip those under her at night and hope for the best... Naruto did have two chicks hatch; here’s a pic but babies were hiding! Our six week old babies have been doing to well with mama 9Ball integrating them so well into the flock. They’ve gotten so big!

Attachments

• 8C09287D-65B6-48B6-8E89-45879E5B2012.jpeg
    8C09287D-65B6-48B6-8E89-45879E5B2012.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 2270DF3B-96E1-4301-A85C-F841AFE692CB.jpeg
    2270DF3B-96E1-4301-A85C-F841AFE692CB.jpeg
    809.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi FiddleChics, well Atilla had better watch her ps and qs! :gig Unfortunately, the four eggs that we put under Susan failed to hatch; the chicks died late in development for reasons unclear to me. So, I’ve ordered chicks from a hatchery that should be here Friday. I plan to slip those under her at night and hope for the best... Naruto did have two chicks hatch; here’s a pic but babies were hiding! Our six week old babies have been doing to well with mama 9Ball integrating them so well into the flock. They’ve gotten so big!

Awwwwww!!!!! That is so sad! Poor Susan, but I"m glad you're getting new eggs for her... How does that happen, how can they just die if she is on the nest?!?!? That's so sad! The photo of your big black hen (Australorp?) and her babies - is just adorable! The hiding little chick, peeping out from under her Momma Naruto - is just precious!!! Makes me want to let one of them hatch eggs now!!! How sweet that looks! :love Amazing how fast they grow! Good luck with the new eggs coming in! Keep us up to date!!! :thumbsup And yes - Attila's on the WATCH LIST for sure! LOL! P's & Q's are right!

Awwwwww!!!!! That is so sad! Poor Susan, but I"m glad you're getting new eggs for her... How does that happen, how can they just die if she is on the nest?!?!? That's so sad! The photo of your big black hen (Australorp?) and her babies - is just adorable! The hiding little chick, peeping out from under her Momma Naruto - is just precious!!! Makes me want to let one of them hatch eggs now!!! How sweet that looks! :love Amazing how fast they grow! Good luck with the new eggs coming in! Keep us up to date!!! :thumbsup And yes - Attila's on the WATCH LIST for sure! LOL! P's & Q's are right!
The black mama hen is a black Copper marans (BCM), who hatched barnyard mixes. For this most recent hatch, some were our eggs and some were shipped BCM eggs. Since shipped eggs are supposed to be incubated upright, we incubated them all in an incubator, then transferred four each to the two broody mamas at day 18 of development. Unfortunately, most of the eggs then died; I don’t know why! :hitThe girls were doing a great job of setting on them. At least Naruto got two chicks out of it!

Precious pictures!

How are Atilla and your (big!) babies! Here’s an update on Susan: we have her four Favorelles and three Ameraucana chicks. She is so happy to have them and such a devoted mom!

Attachments

• 2AFB1083-256D-4F3F-9573-1F5AD9733702.jpeg
    2AFB1083-256D-4F3F-9573-1F5AD9733702.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 4
  • C4E0D0D4-8C99-4A33-8EDF-33D218F91B66.jpeg
    C4E0D0D4-8C99-4A33-8EDF-33D218F91B66.jpeg
    565.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 27197DD9-FAEF-49C9-907B-9D7DCD23FE02.jpeg
    27197DD9-FAEF-49C9-907B-9D7DCD23FE02.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom