Mean RIR girls

Chickie64

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
I originally had a flock of six, two RIRs two BAs and two buff orpingtons. We lost one of each except for the RIRs. Anyways, my chickens are partially free range, there pen is only 10x10 and I let them out when I can, but it's hard. My RIRs are incredibly mean to
the other birds, one of them we call Big Red and she has been awful to the girls and to us. She pecked one of my buffs backs so badly that it was bleeding and she ran away. Whenever we go out there to clean the coop or give them treats or let them out she'll attack us, I actually have scars from her. It's gotten to the point were I'll start pushing at her with my foot. I've tried to get her used to us and like people again but nothing seem to be working. I put her in a separate cage from the others for a while but she would always knock over her food and water and get her bedding soaked.
Sorry this is so much I just feel lost about what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wish I had some good suggestions for you, but I don't. I would not keep such an aggressive bird. My RIR's have almost always seemed to be the most aggressive in the coop but I've never had one that was also aggressive to me.

Sometimes you can reform a hen who is a bully by pulling her out of the coop and keeping her separate for a week or so, make her have to regain her status when she goes back to the flock. Sometimes it works, sometimes they go right back to their old behavior. That combined with the fact this bird is aggressive to you too, I don't think your going to change her behavior.

Yes I was afraid that might be the best option, it's hard finding someone that will take her. Thank you for your response!

Are you positive she's a hen?

I also don't tolerate mean birds. Everyone here is nice to me or I eat them.

I tell my kids' friends that and they look at me kinda funny..............but they never give me any lip!

Back
Top Bottom