Mean rooster

I have seen a skunk in there, and less a year ago something killed 3 hens in the barn in the morning by taking their heads off. Thats why I got 4 new chicks in April. :)

The attachments would not open for me. I'm just curious how you know the cockerel inflicted this injury. You say he has not been mean to the hens, so why do you think he is to blame? Could a raccoon have gotten hold of her and tried to pull her through the fence? Do the hens squabble at all? I would not be too quick to put him in a cook pot unless I was sure he was to blame.
Nope, hens seem to get along fine. I don't think a raccoon would have been inside the barn in day time. He was still trying to get at her when I came into the barn. I had to shoo him away from her with a pole.

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC.

Your hen will be okay. Can you share a picture of the injury? Keep her in a warm, quiet place. Clean the wound with betadine or saline solution and slather it with triple antibiotic ointment. Watch for fly strike! Make sure she is eating and especially that she is drinking. This happened in my first flock and my pullet came out of it just fine.

Like you are considering, the cockerel became dinner. I cannot abide a mean cockerel. There is an alternative though. The cockerel can be separated until he gets through the raging hormone stage. He might come out a nicer guy in a few months. I don't know. I haven't tried it. Perhaps someone else can advise you on that.

Thanks for the ideas. I went to TSC and got some spray that should help. She didn't like it but I'll try to do 3-4 times a day as it says. Can fly spray be used on chickens? I may have to do that. And will try human antibiotic ointment soon. I think I'll catch him and put him in a big plastic dog pen for a while. (I've used it for broody hens before)

I would pen up remaining birds in a dog crate or something in house or sealed garage. A critter is more likely than not involved and you will be loosing more just making assumption did it. If rooster do it, pullet had a serious issue going on first.

I mean them up now.

And maybe set a have-a-heart trap outside their area at night, not too close, to see if anyone is lurking about who means the ladies harm.

I am not implying catch & release here.

And raging hormones are tough on everyone. If he's hurting the girls now, he may get worse before he gets better...or not get better at all.
Seems a shame to make the girls suffer with a little jerk. There are FAR too many WONDERFUL, NICE, RESPECTFUL roos out there to waste time on one who harms the flock he's supposed to protect. That's just no good.

Soup!

Today for the first time the hurt hen ate some mealy worms out of my hand. And she can open/see out the right eye finally. Both eyes been closed up since she had her head all pecked up. I let her back loose with the others but will keep an eye on the Roo. If I can catch him he may go for processing since I found out that the place not far away is doing them on the 18th. :D

You can catch him at night, if all else fails. Since it probably will (fail that is) I'd skip the catch attempts during daylight. I would consider getting him when he gets on his perch ready for bed. I'd put the dog crate in the barn now so no one thinks anything of it. Have his straw or whatever bedding you use inside, ready for him. Open the crate door, get him off of the perch & in he goes. He can spend the night in the crate & then off he goes for processing in the morning. No muss, no fuss & no terrified hens.

Assuming that this is what you are going to do, of course. If it's any consolation, I know how you feel. Let your little hen steel your resolve & best of luck. It will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom